cow tax revisited

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":23tnytfs said:
I am certain he will do some time as he is in there now. I am not following you on the "Why" part.

If you can pay you don't go. If you choose not to pay you go. If they want you well then you go.

It's purty simply with them. See you tomorrow.

ddg1263":2g8a4jry said:
The law is not even on the books and people are figuring out how to beat it. Well I think the best way to beat it is to stop the law before it makes it to print! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Good post. If it does pass, there will be about 1,000,000 small ranchers going out of business (only speculating). Feeders will tank maybe to .40 cwt. Supply will dry up. The prices will skyrocket in that order while retail beef prices triple.

Utter nonsense. The guy used his trust moneys for personal gain. That was idiotic. Obviously he set that up WRONG and handled the money WRONG which is why he pled guilty. The IRS estimates that we underpay $335 billion a year every year and nobody is really losing any sleep over it. I am not suggesting doing anything illegal; but how much taxes a business owes is directly related to how the business or business(es) is structured. IF the govt wants small farms (absolutely contrary to USgov policy over the last 70 years) give them small farms.

I am pretty solidly convinced (given the debacle that was the 2008 election) that this WILL be enacted into law in the next two years. I will fight it; but nobody I supported (read Republicans here) really has any power to stop this. You can't run around screaming and yelling that the globe is warming for two years to get elected and then do NOTHING about it. Taxing coal power plants, pig farms (and they are screwed), and ranches is doing SOMETHING and it is a lot cheaper than actually building 200,000 windmills.

HerefordSire":1x6lsovv said:
Good post. If it does pass, there will be about 1,000,000 small ranchers going out of business (only speculating). Feeders will tank maybe to .40 cwt. Supply will dry up. The prices will skyrocket in that order while retail beef prices triple.

It won't be THAT bad. We will PAY the tax, the costs will get passed on to the consumer. Some consumers won't be able to afford it. They will either eat more simply (and we will lose their business) or they will run it up on the credit cards and bankrupt over it. I think ultimately everybody who is honest with themselves realizes that this industry is smaller than it was ten years ago and it will be smaller than it is now ten years from now. The feedlots are the dead man walking. Between clean water regs, odor regs, dust regs, CO2 regs, urban sprawl, and animal welfare concerns they ARE going to all go out of business either from the cost side or at the point of a gun. I hope that is 30 years from now so I probably won't have to deal with it; but you can hear that train coming down the tracks and we probably can't stop it. IF I was younger, richer, and more adventurous I would be in Brazil because ultimately we are going to hand off this business (and probably the hog, chicken, and paper biz too) to them.

Before you guys get all carried away as to how beat this new law. I would suggest you read up on Federal law a bit. the feds don't have to prove you did any thing wrong or agin the law only that you conspired to commit fraud or tax evasion. After you check that out look into sentenceing guidelines. And yes if Wesley Snipes was convicted in Fed. court he will serve his sentence less a possible 54 days a year good time. On a 3 year sentence he can possiblely get 162 days off of that 3 year sentence. Yes the Feds do want you in jail for at least one year so you can be a felon.

Snipes was a tax protestor not a tax evader. There is a big difference. Evaders (legally or illegally) try to decrease the taxes that they owe. Where evaders get into trouble is under reporting their income. Protestors basically say damn you I ain't paying your taxes and you can't make me. It is the IRS equivalent of buying a bunch of guns and building a defensive compound (FBI/ATF magnet). If you don't file, don't pay anything, and transfer a bunch of money off shore the IRS is coming after you.....period. The IRS believes that Snipes STILL has ~$12 million hid in accounts in various developing world banks under different names. The dude was making MOVIES and not filing a return. I don't think he paid a nickel on 'Passenger 57', 'White Men Can't Jump', and the 'Blade' trilogy. Then when they put a warrant for his arrest he hid out in Angola!!! I applaud his boldness; but shake my head at his stupidity. He could easily have gotten an accountant to claim a 150 real and debatable deductions, probably paid a fraction of what he has had to spend on criminal defense attorneys, probably never had any legal difficulties, and certainly would never have gone to prison.

Brandonm22":1hb94tqg said:
Snipes was a tax protestor not a tax evader. There is a big difference. Evaders (legally or illegally) try to decrease the taxes that they owe. Where evaders get into trouble is under reporting their income. Protestors basically say be nice you I ain't paying your taxes and you can't make me. It is the IRS equivalent of buying a bunch of guns and building a defensive compound (FBI/ATF magnet). If you don't file, don't pay anything, and transfer a bunch of money off shore the IRS is coming after you.....period. The IRS believes that Snipes STILL has ~$12 million hid in accounts in various developing world banks under different names. The dude was making MOVIES and not filing a return. I don't think he paid a nickel on 'Passenger 57', 'White Men Can't Jump', and the 'Blade' trilogy. Then when they put a warrant for his arrest he hid out in Angola!!! I applaud his boldness; but shake my head at his stupidity. He could easily have gotten an accountant to claim a 150 real and debatable deductions, probably paid a fraction of what he has had to spend on criminal defense attorneys, probably never had any legal difficulties, and certainly would never have gone to prison.

I should have researched the data before I posted. TY for correcting me. It is obvious I was under the impression he was an evader.

Brandonm22":dce1jrq2 said:
HerefordSire":dce1jrq2 said:

It won't be THAT bad. We will PAY the tax, the costs will get passed on to the consumer. Some consumers won't be able to afford it. They will either eat more simply (and we will lose their business) or they will run it up on the credit cards and bankrupt over it. I think ultimately everybody who is honest with themselves realizes that this industry is smaller than it was ten years ago and it will be smaller than it is now ten years from now. The feedlots are the dead man walking. Between clean water regs, odor regs, dust regs, CO2 regs, urban sprawl, and animal welfare concerns they ARE going to all go out of business either from the cost side or at the point of a gun. I hope that is 30 years from now so I probably won't have to deal with it; but you can hear that train coming down the tracks and we probably can't stop it. IF I was younger, richer, and more adventurous I would be in Brazil because ultimately we are going to hand off this business (and probably the hog, chicken, and paper biz too) to them.

We (they) outlawed alcohol before. Look at the smokers....we (they) were and are just getting abused like a red headed step child. How much are smokes in Canada now...and California? Look at California's budget issues. They are in big trouble. It is about the 6th biggest economy in the world. In the last 20 years, look what they had to do to the automobiles for them to be legal with their emission standards. Try to use water on your own land there without a permit. Try to use oxygen there on your own land without a permit (joking). Talk about getting buried in some real estate. WOW! Talk about upside down! Cow methane production in California....sheesh, it may be $500 per cow per year.

Latest posts