cow nursing others calf

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
I have a old cow that had a 100# or so calf a week ago, noticed today a two week old calf not hers nursing on her, after feeding cows noticed both calves nursing at same time, then later the two week old calf went back over to its mama and nursed! The old cow is a angus cross and her 100# calf looks limo cross big friendly fellow, both calves and mamas seem to be doing fine just didn't know if calves snack off others like that?

But you need to determine if the 2 week olds dam has enough for her own calf. "Generally" if a calf is stealing from another cow, it's because it's HUNGRY! If 2 wk old's dam doesn't have enough milk for her calf - ship her. By stealing off of the newborns dam, the newborn may not grow as well as it could have. Older calf will/can get more than it's share of the milk.

Appreciate the info:lol2: the other dam is producing plenty of milk for her calf as well as the old cow with her big limo calf, I think we have a case of milk snatching going on or my moms milk is better than yours contest.THANKS!

wood2":1z4t86qq said:
...just didn't know if calves snack off others like that?

Calves are a lot like teenagers - if they can get away with it, they will do it! ;-) :lol:

a few cows dont mind letting other calves suck along with hers.an thats a good cow.in case a calf looses its momma.we have a few cows that will take calves if their momma dies.an thats good for the calf.

Sometimes its nice to have a few easy going cows around that let anyone nurse, but last year we had a registered Murray Grey heifer calve out a nice little bull, and of all the cows out there that I didn't want to let other calves nurse on her, wouldn't you know that she would be the one to do it. We had a very old cow have twins last year, and she was not keeping up with them on milk production, and they both started stealing milk from this heifer, who evidently liked it, because once I noticed 3 calves suckling on her at the same time. Each of the twins on either side and her own bull calve between her two back legs.

We almost always see a calf stealing milk from another cow, and its usually a first time heifer that just doesn't know any better yet. The next year they don't usually allow it.

lol, i have a holstein that every once in a while there will be 4 on her at one time. kind of funny to watch.

jt

Latest posts