Cow numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I know we have producers from across the nation here. Curious if we are seeing a reduction in cow numbers due to drought. In my area of Minnesota we had very dry conditions early but that has changed. Also wondering if producers relocate cows for awhile or not. thanks farmguy

weather here in eastern Iowa has been pretty good this year for keeping pastures green and able to make some nice hay. we were getting dry in early October but getting rain now to kick start the grass heading into spring. moving cattle because of drought doesn't seem to happen much around here maybe because of availability of hay and corn. culling lower end cows seems to be more of the normal here when conditions are not great and additional feeding is necessary.

I cut numbers in February anticipating fallout from COVID-19 and a dry Spring and Summer. So far not a bad call.

We have had a dryer than normal summer, but not exactly a draught. We've suplimented some hay and grain this month to try letting the pasture lots come back a little longer. Getting more rain in the last 2-3 weeks. Our herd is steady on number, we've kept back a few more heifers last year than normal because we had a high percent of heifer calves to pick from and the sale price was lower, so next year we'll be up a few more calving. Most heard around here I think have been steady. Not many here move cattle except for a few miles down the road. Most beef herds here are small, 20-50 head. We are competing with dairy herds for crop ground and pasture.

Hay this year has been really good quality, but it's 20-30 percent less volume than last year. The warm June-July weather and little rain was a double edge sword. Great for getting your hay in, but not good for pasture or getting a second cutting. The latest rain is helping but it's getting late in the year to try getting good dry 2nd cutting. Will need to make baleage to get it.

Grass, hay and corn around here are about as good as I have seen. There will not be a reason to reduce inventory for lack of feed. If you are tired of fooling with them for next to nothing then maybe reduce inventory.

jltrent said:
Grass, hay and corn around here are about as good as I have seen. There will not be a reason to reduce inventory for lack of feed. If you are tired of fooling with them for next to nothing then maybe reduce inventory.
That's where I'm at. I'm going to reduce numbers and graze mist of the winter.
Unless they get too cheap then I will buy more.

Our last measurable rain was mid June. It is very dry and there are fires all around us. The smoke is choking and the sky is a strange dark orange color. It is so dark from the smoke you'd think it was night, but it is only 3:30 in the afternoon. I won't wean or gather cows until the temperatures drop out of the 90 to 100's and the smoke isn't practically suffocating me. Actually today is cooler, but only because the sun has been behind a thick cloud of smoke since noon.

I am thinking that when we can get calves gathered and sold, it might be time to cull more cows than normal.

Been a great cattle year, best in a while..folks were feeding hay already this time last year, even in August...produced plenty of hay,and already good fall grazing this year...thank God for that ......to what's been a horrible year..

This was our 3rd year in a row to have good summer rains. Its so green right now, cows are pooping like its spring..

I may buy some before cold weather as I have feed for the winter. I don't expect to make much, but maybe there will be more Coronavirus disaster relief welfare checks next spring and they will count toward the total.

jltrent said:
I may buy some before cold weather as I have feed for the winter. I don't expect to make much, but maybe there will be more Coronavirus disaster relief welfare checks next spring and they will count toward the total.

Send me your order. I will take really good care of you. Lol

No drought here either, though I could use a good rain since the grass is shorter than I like to see this time of year. I haven't had drought conditions since 2011, though that was the worst I've ever seen, and I believe the worst we've had here since the 1950's (before my time).

kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:

Send me your order. I will take really good care of you. Lol
If I can't make it to the sale barn I may give you a call. Feed and fool with them all winter and in a perfect world might make $50 a piece on them or could lose $50. If I could find about 20 good cow/calf pairs that might be what I do.

Was getting pretty darn dry up here in central Texas but 7.25 inches last week took care of that little problem.

Cut my cow numbers back 10% due to a very dry spring. Forage came back strong in July and August if you had healthy soils. Some panic hay buying in June but mixed upland cow hay prices have dropped back to $80/ton. Looks like soy beans will be the most profitable crop to grow this year.

Latest posts