Cow in heat again after 9 days

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbluegrass

Reaction score
I have a cow that was in standing heat on July 5 in the afternoon (natural heat 28 days after calving on June 7). Yesterday late afternoon (July 14, 9 days after her first heat) she was in standing heat again and still standing this morning. I would like to move up her breeding date to early May or April. Two years ago she calved on May 18 by natural service. Last year was my first year using AI and I didn't settle her on the first AI (I think I tried too early, she was still standing 4 hours after) and didn't see her come in again until 42 days later (I think I missed the heat in the middle because I had a few family events around that time and wasn't around like I should have been). She ended up a month behind, which was probably all my fault. I would eventually like to get her calving in April and would like to get her back to May calving this year.

She did have a retained placenta this year, took her 3 days to loose it. She never acted sick or showed any other complications.

Would you AI her today or wait and see what happens? She is really easy to handle and I don't mind the practice - but at the same time I don't want to waste my time and the straw. That would put her due around April 23, which would be great if it took. Should I wait until she gets more regular? She has never had short cycles before. Anyone else see a 9 day cycle? Or would that be considered an erratic cycle and indicate a cyst?

Only time I've seen short cycles like that the cow was cystic. A shot of GnRH will normally take care of that.

Dun, that is kind of what I was thinking. Does it matter when I give her the GnRH for purposes of cyst removal?

bigbluegrass":6ftq0oa3 said:
Dun, that is kind of what I was thinking. Does it matter when I give her the GnRH for purposes of cyst removal?
Nope
The few times we've done it through the years and the last time was prbably 10 years or so ago, we gave it while she was in heat

Breed her and give her the gnrh.
The most common short cycle that I see is days 9-11 since last heat. The next common oddball heat is around thirty- four days since last and I consider both to be viable heats and by my best guess the cow is having a hard time deciding which ovary she's going to have the dominant cycle on and in that case she's not really cystic but gnrh can only help.
The best bet is always to breed the cow. She might not become pregnant but we KNOW she won't if you don't try. If she has an odd cycle after a dose of gnrh, don't waste any more time on her and get rid of her.

cow pollinater":15jzn6c2 said:
Breed her and give her the gnrh.
The most common short cycle that I see is days 9-11 since last heat. The next common oddball heat is around thirty- four days since last and I consider both to be viable heats and by my best guess the cow is having a hard time deciding which ovary she's going to have the dominant cycle on and in that case she's not really cystic but gnrh can only help.
The best bet is always to breed the cow. She might not become pregnant but we KNOW she won't if you don't try. If she has an odd cycle after a dose of gnrh, don't waste any more time on her and get rid of her.
I'll 2nd exactly what he said. Happens alot for some reason. Just had beef cow do it to me. We ultrasounded her at 40 days 1st heat so 30 2nd one and she was preg to the 30 day one. And I swear she was in heat both times! On them kind of cows I try and use same bull too so you avoid wondering who the calf is out of.......good luck!

CP - How much would it change things if I didn't use GnRH? I have been doing AI on all natural heat and haven't used any GnRH, so I don't have any on hand. Could get some from the vet tomorrow, but it would be too late to breed her then. I could still run her in tonight.

You can breed on natural heat without the gnrh. If she's cystic it won't help her without the gnrh though

That's what I thought hook. But if she is cystic, she wouldn't settle anyway even with gnrh, would she? I like the plan - breed and gnrh - kind of covers it all at once. But I don't have gnrh.

Just breed her and wait and see then.
FWIW, I don't give gnrh at all on my dairy route. The day nine-eleven and thirty one-four heats will work themselves out as her energy balances out and I don't see a lot of success in treating cows with gnrh. The ones that will respond to gnrh will usually work it out on their own. If she doesn't have a normal cycle the next time, give her gnrh ONE time. If that doesn't work, save your money and ship her.

Interesting thread neighbor. If I might add a question for CP or dun, GnRH has been discussed on CT many times. What is the recommended form of GnRG? Cystorelin, factorl, Fertagyl or ovacyst?

inyati13":1hkwmskv said:
Interesting thread neighbor. If I might add a question for CP or dun, GnRH has been discussed on CT many times. What is the recommended form of GnRG? Cystorelin, factorl, Fertagyl or ovacyst?
We use Cystorelin, fertagyl wasn;t worth the cost. Our vet thru the years has tried about everything and cystorelin is what he settled on. Since he is who I get it from my choice is pretty well made for me.

Latest posts