Cow health after losing a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Hwy27

Reaction score
Hi, we are fairly new in the cattle business, we have had a situation come up and looking for some input. I posted this on the "beginners board" but thought I would dive right in and ask on this forum. We bought 10 heifers last spring, brought them home to bred with our bull. They are all commerical angus. To our suprise we had a black/white calf on New years day. Since then there has been another calf come out of this group. Since we bought them in May, we have concluded that some were bred when they got here.
Anyway, the first calf was doing very well the first 2 1/2 weeks, feeding, staying with the herd and so on. One morning we awoke to a cow bawling, after searching it was the mother of this first calf. When I found the calf it was very weak, we took her to the vet, he treated her but it was to late, we lost the calf. Now what to do with the mother. She hasen't been eating very well (some hay) not much suppliment. We have her in a corral where we can keep an eye on her. We don't have the option to "put another calf with her" Will she dry up and be ok? Anything we should be watching for? Any articles we can read? Thnaks for any help you can give. We didn't see her during her calving, but she seemed to be just fine, her weight is approx 800 to 850.

We had a heifer lose a calf awhile back. She would bawl like crazy and follow me around looking for her calf. After awhile she stopped bawling and dried up. She bred back the next year and raised a nice calf.
Now you need to ask yourself if you want to keep her or ship her because she is eating hay and not raising a calf.
Do you know what caused the calf to die?
Personally speaking if there was nothing the cow did to cause the calf to die, I would keep her. Especially if you are trying to build up your herd. JMO.

Thanks, I don't think it was anything the cow did to cause the calf to die. Vet said scours, dehidration, he treated the calf but we were to late. I try to keep up with the new moms to make sure the calf is nursing, thought this one was doing fine, out of the danger zone. It went downhill overnight. The only way we knew something was wrong was the cow was bawling one morning, I thought someone was calving in the trees. After investigation I found the cow (mother of the calf) was the one bawling. I searched right away for the calf, found it and was able to walk right up to it, it had already become that weak. We will keep the cow, and bred her to our bull late spring. Our normal calving season is March-May. For us its much better, warmer weather, green grass, and not so hard on the calves and mothers. Thanks again for your input.

Leave her alone she will be fine you just learned lesson 101 if you aint got them you cant loose them.
She loose a second calf I would make cat food out of her. In todays margins can't afford to hold on to a leach very long.

Do yourself and your cattle a favor and calve in a cooler time of the year --- March thru May when it is warmer also causes scours to be more prevalent. Early spring is an inviting time for all sorts of parasites including the Brown stomach nematode, but yes Scours will ruin your day everytime from March to May.

Don't know where Hwy 27 is located but can't get a much "cooler" time of the year to calve around here than January.

I wouldn't worry about her udder, she will dry up naturally, but, I would be concerned, you said she isn't eating well. I would keep an eye on her. If possible, you might get her in & check her temp. She might have mastitis or some illness. Not usual for a cow/heifer not to eat - especially suppliment.

If you plan to mantain your number keep her and breed her back. She has a better chance of calving a live healthy calve than a heifer. Sell her as a cull you get what 450; maybe she goes as 500. Buy a Bred heifer next fall for 750 to a 1000. Whats the difference between feeding the open cow and buying a new heifer. Feeding the open cow should be cheaper unless your a high exprence operation.
The second calve cow has a better chance at calving time than a heifer. At weaning a better chance of heavier calf. Or maybe you will buy the perfect heifer. :cowboy:

I would move her now because you will have to feed her through the remainder of the winter and she wontbe productive --cut your losses and move her before you sink anymore needless $$ into her

Latest posts