Cow down after giving birth, looking for advise

Help Support CattleToday:

Hwy27

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, here we go again. This has not been a good calving season this year at all.
We checked the herd the other day, and found a cow down, with a dead calf behind her.
She hasen't gotten up since, we have been proping her up, giving her water, she ate a little hay last evening. Question is, does anyone think she will ever get up, or should we put her down. We are always optamistic hoping she will make it through, but can't get ahold of a vet over the weekend, so looking to you guys for input. She can move both back legs, but could she have broken her back or something? Waiting for reponses. She has been down for approx 72 hours. This was her first calf. Thanks

Roll to the opposite dside at least once a day. Rather then a borken back it could be a cracked/broken pelvis but I lean more towards just calving paralysis, i.e. pinched nerve. Some get up, some don;t. I've seen more get up then not. Sometims takes a day somtimes a month.

Thanks, we did flip her yesterday, and already today, put up a burm of dirt behind her, is it ok to give her water? She seems to be taking it ok using a small water bottle, little at a time up to a quart every couple of hours. She wouldn't eat any hay this morning. I have given her 30cc of antibiotic, and 30cc of B-12 yesterday, no shots today. Any other ideas out there?

Food and water are fine. Water may even be more important so she doesn;t get dehydrated. Never have seen a down cow that couldn;t at least pee. If you can get a pair of hip lifters you might try that.

sounds like its just taking the time to keep her comfortable to see if she can come out of it. She pooped yesterday, and pee'd over night, she's out in the open field so we put a pop up over her to keep her cooler in the sunshine. We'll just keep doing what we're doing, and hopefully she will get up. Thanks again, you always give good advise!

Ive seen more get up than not too. had them down from a day or so to nearly a month before. in my opinion, as long as she's trying you ought to too. you can tell when shes given up. water is VERY important. make sure she has plenty. get a pan of some sort and take her some out in a cooler or trashcan (preferably something with a top LOL!). cows drink a lot of water.

What about the water going into her lungs? I have heard a lot about that, and afraid I may drown her? And your right, we will keep trying as long as she is trying. We go out and put her head up for awhile, give her some water, and talk to her. I know she can't be doing very well, when she will let us lift her head up, usually she won't even let us get close to her.

oh well if she cant even drink water on her own then she doesnt sound too good. sorry.

waht i was talking about was taking a cooler full out at a time and pouring in the pan and letting her drink all she wanted by herself. i didnt realize you were having to actually give her water..

she cant keep herself sitting up either, can she?

No, we have her propped up with a dirt berm behind her. She tries to throw her head back, we have her front 2 feet curled up close to her, but the back 2 are straight out, we keep bending the one, but the one under her we can't get to move. She is like "moaning" when she breathes. I just checked on her, I put the pan in front of her, and she is using her tongue to get water. I have been putting some around her mouth and let her lick it. We don't think it looks very good for her, but as some of you guys say, if she doesn't give up neither will we. Any input is welcomed.

Hwy27":2vbpmnms said:
We don't think it looks very good for her, but as some of you guys say, if she doesn't give up neither will we.

Watch for the "look in her eyes". That will tell you if/when it's time to end the whole deal.
I didn;t realize that she couldn't get her head up either. That seems to be a whole lot different then just calving paralysis, unless it's extreme pain that's causing it.

her eyes seem to be clear right now, what should I "look" for?

Hwy27":1qpqszth said:
her eyes seem to be clear right now, what should I "look" for?

It's a distant resigned look. When you see it you'll know.

Thanks, since this is the first one like this we have dealt with, we don't know all the "signs". I just don't want to prolong her suffering if there's no chance for her to come out of this, but from what everyone is saying, she could pull through. I am not "tubing her" for water, is it ok to put it at her mouth and let her get some by licking it?

Hwy27":2wtyngo3 said:
I am not "tubing her" for water, is it ok to put it at her mouth and let her get some by licking it?
That's fine, but she's going to have ahrd time getting adequate that way. I would get someone experienced to look at her. If she's in severe pain, I would shoot her and write it off as a sad day and one of those things.

i agree, prognosis doesnt sound good if she is not sitting up on her own or drinking water on her own. a cow needs anywhere from 5-24 gallons of water a day depending on the temperature outside.

Tomorrow's Monday... I'd have the vet or an experienced neighbor take a look at her in the morning. In the meantime, banamine and dexamethasone would help relieve pain and take down any swelling in the spinal area. Vitamin B can help with nerve damage. There's no need for antibiotics unless she has an infection.

Also, that cow ought to be drinking at least 5-10 gallons in a day. Esp if it's warm enough in your area you felt the need to put a tent up over her. You didn't mention how deep the "pan" is, but if it's not deep enough for her to dip her muzzle in she may not want to drink. A bucket would be better. Free choice. Cows "slurp" their water, not lick or lap like a dog.

Hwy27":4ylxjnqh said:
What about the water going into her lungs? I have heard a lot about that, and afraid I may drown her?

Wouldn't worry about it. Animals have a flap over the trachea that prevents water/food from getting into the lungs. (And vica versa.) You won't drown her by giving her free choice water. Tubing her if you're not sure about what you're doing could be another matter.

Thanks for your advise, she is doing "ok" right now, gave her some water, and a little hay dipped in water, put her to bed for the night. We are going to check on her first daylite in the morning, if she's still alive we will call the vet at 8:am and see if we can get someone out here to assess her condition. We just hate to shoot her if she can survive, but honestly it doesn't look good. Hard to make a decision to shoot her, or let nature take its course. But we don't want her to suffer either. Thanks, this venue is a great way to vent as well as get other opinions about what is going on with the cattle, I thank you all, and you'll be hearing from me again I'm sure. We'll post an update sometime tomorrow. (Monday)

I would give 10 cc Dexamethazone and 30 cc Penicillin for three days. The Dex is a steroid that will help shrink the swelling of the nerve. But it weakens the immune system hence the pen. Also find a hip lift if you can. If her pelvis is split you might want to put a pair of hobbles on her for a few days, That will help keep her legs together, generally one will try to go way forward then she will fall down again. If you can't find a hip lift you will just have to tail her up until she can get up on her own, also you might want to put some electrolytes in her water. any thing for a boost of energy.

Latest posts