After birth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Injections are more effective than flushing the uterus or putting pills in it.
That is interesting. If no blood is reaching the infection inside the uterus how does it work? Or is the infection the lining of the uterus?

I remember having a cow with a endometritis and we flushed with antibiotics, lute 14 days later, came in heat, inseminated and it took. Vet did say if it doesnt work an old remidy was flushing uterus with an iodine solution which would basically burn a layer of the uterus and once discharged could be good to go but quite risky with poor results from what he had seen.

That is interesting. If no blood is reaching the infection inside the uterus how does it work? Or is the infection the lining of the uterus?

I remember having a cow with a endometritis and we flushed with antibiotics, lute 14 days later, came in heat, inseminated and it took. Vet did say if it doesnt work an old remidy was flushing uterus with an iodine solution which would basically burn a layer of the uterus and once discharged could be good to go but quite risky with poor results from what he had seen.
Injectable antibiotic gets into the uterus the same way that everything else does - through secretions from the uterine lining. There are still a few old guys out there who believe in flushing a uterus, but there isn't really any research to support that it works, and it may be harmful.

If they don't clean out themselves then I really think they need to go.
Sometimes it can be a bit like peeing in the ocean.

Ken
Sure makes a person wonder weather they wanna keep a cow that does that huh!

I've had a couple. That crossbred cow above went to town. Partly my own fault I think for not taking care of her. She was well over 850lbs at calving. Like I said, 630lbs when I sold her.

But I've had a couple other first calvers that have retained placenta as well for a week or so. Maybe more. I'd have to look.
They had absolutely no issues on the next calf tho!

Ya win some. Ya lose some I guess.

@Shoestring keep an eye on that gal.
If she starts going down hill ya may have to do something. Hope she clears the rest and moves right along for ya!

Not sure you can blame them. I usually figure retained after birth is a sign that I had been slacking on the mineral. I don't always keep it in front of them like I like.
Good point.
In 2019 I did not keep loose mineral around like I do now. I kept lick blocks. However. The last 2 heifers did have free choice loose mineral. I've gotten pretty strict on not letting it run out too!

Good point.
In 2019 I did not keep loose mineral around like I do now. I kept lick blocks. However. The last 2 heifers did have free choice loose mineral. I've gotten pretty strict on not letting it run out too!
I run on a shoestring, but I have molasses tubs and a salt n mineral block in each pasture. I don't slack on the feed.

I seldom see an RP, when I do it's usually a twin birth.
Now, this. Maybe, I fed them Thursday. I would have sworn that calf was not 2 weeks old. I drove around, but didn't see another calves. Obviously, i will check tomorrow.