Cow Birth picture HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

Okay,, she had a bull calf!!

At 4AM on Wednesday morning i walked out to pasture with my spotlight and under a tree
#31 cow was standing with her calf under her.
She was already cleaned and nursing!!!

So it was approximately 30-36 hours after "ANYTIME NOW" and 50 bucks later for the vet visit.
Calf is fine and had his shot of bose.

Thanks all for your assistance
31c.jpg

So glad there wasn't a problem. Congrats on that.
Did the vet say anything as to prolapsing etc.? Sell, stay??? Just curious if it was just prelabor something or what??? Just curious.
Congrats on the healthy cow and calf.
Double R

Bill,
Good deal and thanks for keeping us posted.
( Sorry about the $50. :) )
SL

Congrats on the outcome Bill. Nice looking calf. Just curious, did the Vet suggest selling your cow?

fitz

hooknline":2ndot2ns said:
So that doesn't make her due.
Like caustic said, sew her up. Keep an eye on her and if she starts labor cut the stitches so she can calve. Sell her once she weans the calf and don't rebreed her

When you have one Prolapse like you all were saying before, if you need meat in the freezer would it be better of an ideal to just take her to the butcher ?

Not if she's close to calving. The calf has a dollar figure attached to it assuming it goes normal like.
Let say the figure is 200 bucks. So you sew her up, keep an eye on her, cut the sutures when she starts to calve, and you've just made
200 bucks. And once he's calved the pressure is of the prolapse so it's not like it's goin to happen again until she heavy bred again.

ok, Well I mean after getting the calf out would it be a wiser decission to butcher her or just go ahead and keep her.. Didnt know if it happens once if that means its gonna happen more often or not.

If it happens once they're more likely to do it again but usually under the same conditions. Ie heavily bred.
Usually It makes sense to let her nurse the calf to about 3 months or so,and then ship her

And I assume when you sell her, you put in kill pen so the next sucker doesn't get stuck with her. Or maybe we just all head to the sale and swap problems.

I hope nobody is complaining about a vet bill of 50 bucks for a farm call. We wonder why large animal vets are harder to find. 7 or 8 years of training, vehicle expense, travel time, lost income back at the clinic, all for $50. I wonder how much a plumber would charge for a similar house call?

Conventional wisdom is that if the prolapse before calving they'll do it again and if they prolapse after calving they won;t. That has held true in our case. The 2 that prolapsed before calving prolapsed agasin the next year. The only one that prolapsed after calving never did again, but she prolapsed in the middle of the night and died so maybe that shouldn;t count

Latest posts