Cow Aggressiveness Behaviour Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod,

I agree with a lot of your points! Something else to keep in mind is having kids around. We don't have kids, so our cattle don't get used to seeing them around. A lot of mine (especially the Brahmans) don't like kids, and will chase them if given the chance. But they'll also chase dogs, since we don't have them on the place either.

Cattle get used to you and how you handle them, so when something new or different comes along, they feel threatened and can respond aggressively. Of COURSE, your health and well being around them is the important issue, so if you or someone that's around your place (kids, grandkids, father in law, whatever) is threatened by one, they aren't safe to keep around.

TheBullLady":3kr64q72 said:
Something else to keep in mind is having kids around. We don't have kids, so our cattle don't get used to seeing them around.

Kids are a different story. I have 3 here, one whose not old enough to be outside. But the 7 and 9 yr old are under EXPLICIT orders to never set foot inside a corral unless an adult is with them. Even the gentlest cow can harm a child by accident, so you can't make animal selection based purely on child safety.

<chuckle> My father is also not allowed in the corrals by himself either :lol:

Of course the bottom line is to not keep lunatics around. Lifes too short. But if you're going to cull every cow that could hurt a child, you won't have any cows left.

Rod

i aint never seen an animal thats worth more than my family , be it a cow, horse, dog or what ever.....ship her out

better safe than sorry especially with them grand young uns

samm

Latest posts