Cow Aggressiveness Behaviour Question

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
We have a cow that just calved about 10 days ago. The cow is Black Angus and is 7 years old. Our perspective is a little limited as we have had about 10 calves on the ranch over the last two years with 6 this season, but this cow has turned overly aggressive and extremely protective of her calf. We now go in the field extremely mindful of where she is and always have an exit strategy.

Her aggresiveness began about two months ago (obviously before she calved) by charging myself and a grandson. I charged her and she turned around and left. Before that she blended in with the herd showing no signs of aggression.

Once she calved she has become extremely anxious about not having a human close to her, particularly her calf. Since she has calved she has charged twice with a metal fence in between. Other than that we're keeping our distance.

I understand the maternal instinct here but how frequently does this kind of behavior occur and when does it go away or will it always be, at least, latent?

Thanks all!
a

Ship her or shoot her. If she started that before she calved you can;t make the excuse that it's maternal.

dun

Put her in the freezer, think of your grandson, next might not be so lucky to get her to turn. And don't let the chance of her getting into someone else's herd, rather than slaughter.

Got rid of one last week just like her.

Cows are like women they dont get LESS crazy..... :shock:

It will get worse with time, load her and her calf up before its to late. I have a one strike and your out rule and you should to.

Good luck and stay out of that field.

MD

Yep she's gotta go. Too many nice quiet cows out there. Why ruin your life and enjoyment of cattle by having one of those around.

GaryDG":1m8ih63m said:
We have a cow that just calved about 10 days ago. The cow is Black Angus and is 7 years old. Our perspective is a little limited as we have had about 10 calves on the ranch over the last two years with 6 this season, but this cow has turned overly aggressive and extremely protective of her calf. We now go in the field extremely mindful of where she is and always have an exit strategy.

Her aggresiveness began about two months ago (obviously before she calved) by charging myself and a grandson. I charged her and she turned around and left. Before that she blended in with the herd showing no signs of aggression.

Once she calved she has become extremely anxious about not having a human close to her, particularly her calf. Since she has calved she has charged twice with a metal fence in between. Other than that we're keeping our distance.

I understand the maternal instinct here but how frequently does this kind of behavior occur and when does it go away or will it always be, at least, latent?

Thanks all!
a

If this cow has to fend for herselve on a ranch of many thousands of acres I would say keep her. She will keep your calf alive.

If you are a small mom and pop outfit - follow the advice.

You really do not want her genes in your herd.

Up to you - but every year someone gets killed by bulls and cows with aggression probs. Usually because folks did not want to ship that "good" animal.

If you cannot round her up safely - shoot her and make burger.

In the end - forget about the herd numbers - it is a quality game.

Bez!

I think its time to ship her down the road. I dont care how good of a cow she is or how good she has been, She gets agressive shes gone, no questions asked.

I'm with Dun, you can't make excuses for this cow, ship it now. Shooting it is last resort for me. The cow that killed my grandfather chased everyone out of the loading pen that tryed to push it on the trailer. It however wasn't tougher than the Bobcat, and did get loaded.

Just do yourself and everyone your care about a favor and get rid of this animal very soon.

I am with the rest on this one. I would much rather have a smaller safer hers than one in which I am worried about working. All animals require your attention at all times but agression should not be tolerated. While I don't like seeing them turned into pets I do believe in them not challenging me at every chance.

Whiskyb

Thank you all for your response.

It's tough to make the decision but your advice is overwhelming. So we intend to follow it.

One follow-on question related to a comment about keeping the herd gene-pool correct. The cow being discussed, has a yearling heifer @14mos which is quite normal and very gentle.

We intend to keep and monitor her like the rest but take no action other than that we would for the rest of the herd.

I agree with everyone ship her. We had a Limi cow that was an awesome cow, paid lots of money for her to be a show heifer but did not work out for that. I should have known then and sold her. But kept her and she only kept getting worse with age. Finally one day when I saw her charge at the fence when my 8 year old son was playing in yard minding his own business I shipped her. Best $950.00 I ever got. Never again will I have a cow that even remotely looks aggressive. Especially with kids on the place.

It has been so much nicer around here now that the one problem cow is gone, did not realize just how bad working the cows were until she was gone.

GaryDG":3ot7cmpy said:
One follow-on question related to a comment about keeping the herd gene-pool correct. The cow being discussed, has a yearling heifer @14mos which is quite normal and very gentle.

While disposition can be slightly genetic, I think its mostly learned behaviour. I have a gentle line of cows that all stretch back to a single gentle animal that I bought quite a few years back. Her calves were gentle, because they saw momma being gentle around people. It just trickled down the line. But there was/is likely something genetic that pre-disposed them to being gentle.

Animals who have a tendency towards being wild can be tamed with the proper handling. I had a CRAZY cow here who would take on a loader tractor when it got close to her calf, yet all her calves were reasonably gentle, especially after they were weaned and handled as feeders for awhile.

Alot also depends on your own attitude. If you're the least bit nervous or worried, the cows will pick up on that and echo it back. I can get around all my cows with very few threats, maybe some posturing like a little thrown dirt or some grumbles, but I ignore it and all is good. My father, who is not as comfortable around cattle, will have half the herd coming for him if he doesn't watch.

Long and short of it? Keep an eye on her, but don't be nervous while doing it. She's probably going to be just fine.

Rod

GaryDG":2kqvu1r3 said:

For what it's worth, we had an Angus cow that would take anyone that got within 50 yards of her from the moment she went into labor until her calf was a month old. Her daughter just calved a week or so ago and is just as calm as she can be. I don't know if this is the norm or the exception, but thought I would pass it along.

GaryDG":2j968f2a said:
Thank you all for your response.

It's tough to make the decision but your advice is overwhelming. So we intend to follow it.

We intend to keep and monitor her like the rest but take no action other than that we would for the rest of the herd.

How nice is this 14 month old heifer? Is she just a typical, average cow or is she your favourite? How is her father's disposition? How was her mother with her around people when she was bringing her calf up? If her mother was always nervous or mean with people when this heifer was a calf chances are the heifer will be the same when she calves. Unless, she has really taken a liking to you and is above average in friendliness. Are you always going to be looking over your shouldner for this cow when she grows up remembering her mother? I don't know enough about the heifer to tell you one way or another for sure but if she is going to make you nervous don't keep her. There's a lot of cows in the world.

Ship the cow - wouldn't keep a calf out of her either. Again, there are too many good ones out there to keep a bad one ! We bought a couple of bred heifers last year that ended up going to the sale barn - after I got my ribs back in place !!! They were easily replaced.

Does this cow go out of her way to hunt you down and charge you or is her aggression triggered when you enter her comfort zone or enter the danger zone around her calf? Our old boss cow challenges me when I get between her and her calf, no charge but a step or two in my direction to let me know she's on guard duty.
When I get challanged from across the pasture then the o'l girl will dance to the auctioneer's song. DMc

{ IF I HAD ONLY } can go through your mind the rest of your life, and eat you alive {mentally} if the worst does happen.

My children are more important than anything in the world.
Make the choice, its yours.

Latest posts