cow aborted twin heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

wade

Reaction score
Yesterday cow aborted twin heifer calves. She was 3 months away from calving. The first calf looked like the size of a skinned 20 pound coon, very very fat everywhere, like it was blown up with air or liquid. The second calf looked normal to me, skinny as youd think one would look like at this time. Anyone ever see this before.

I'd say the one fetus died, thus killing the other. The fat and puffy ain't normal.

Ditto. My vet said once that it's not too uncommon for a cow to abort twins.

Ok, not many responded. How about this question for you. After the first calf was delivered the placenta could be seen hanging out of the cow. I came back after driving to town and she had delivered the second dead calf. No placenta hanging out of cow, no nothing anywhere but the dead calf. Does she have another placenta inside her? I am assuming she ate the one I saw hanging out of her after the first calf. Both were heifers, could they be identical and have shared the same placenta? Could they have shared the same placenta and that was the reason to abort? come on folks.

I'm not sure but I believe that even identical twins in the same birth sack have a placenta of their own. The puffy one probably died and was beginning the decomp process - crock pot - EWWW! which in turn caused her to about the other calf at the same time.

It is very common for twins to be aborted early. And, yes, it sounds like the puffy one died causing the abortion.
Hmm, definately could be same birth sack, but not sure, I think there would still be two placentas.
It is VERY common for a cow to retain placenta after twins or early/late calving. And she was both - twins & real early.

I agree, each calf would have it's placenta. She may have retained what is left of the dead fetus's placenta [that is the one that caused the abort] I think in the decomposing state of the one calf the placenta is in a almost unrecognizable state. Maybe a injection of antibiotic.

Latest posts