covid

Help Support CattleToday:

Being overweight is a risk factor.

From the National Center for Health Statistics.
1960 average adult man 5' 8" 166 lbs average woman 5' 3" 140 lbs

1979 average man 5' 9" 172 lbs bmi 25.3 (1 lb overweight)
1979 women 5' 4" 144 lbs bmi 25.0

1994 men 180 lbs bmi 26.6 & women 152 bmi 26.5
2004 men 195 lbs bmi 28.4 & women 165 bmi 28.4
2014 men 196 lbs bmi 28.7 & women 169 bmi 29.2

bmi normal 18.5-24.9 overweight 25-29.9
obese bmi 30+ morbidly obese 40+
no change in average height from 1979 to 2014

by subsets, men over age 40 gained the most weight
while for women it was those under 40 that gained the most

35 yrs from 1979-2014 men gained an average of 24 lbs & women 25 lbs

I think nearly every business here has a box of masks by the front door. Just take one for free if you need one.
yes, its that way here too but just in case you want to upgrade they have the stylish high dollars ones for ya too. I'm sure they aren't making anything on the fancy masks. probably just a public service🙂

In our county this summer in central Texas,mask mandate went into effect in July and infection rate daily decreased by half. We're surging now, for many reasons-schools, complacency, gatherings for Halloween, increased testing available...
I chuckle when anyone says "fatality rate is less than 1%". Fatalities are a big deal (we're at WWII levels now), but the bigger issue is the filling of hospitals with people who can't breathe, for extended periods of time. There is also the long-term recovery no one mentions. Death is more "newsworthy ". That takes care away from someone who needs urgent surgery (cancer, sub-acute appendicitis, back injuries), or delays ER evaluation for stroke and heart attack patients.
you can build the biggest hospital in the world, if the staff keeps getting sick, or just not enough in an area, people still won't be taken care of. Overwhelmed health care system is just as big of an issue. Just lost a couple who both caught it from (we think) a paid caregiver in their home. They died three days apart, alone, in the same hospital-he was in ICU and died, when she was admitted to a lesser-care unit.
Keep your "freedom" of not wearing a mask-but stay away from the rest of us-for your sake and ours. Maybe that's our new political division-maskers and open-faces...
Please tell me you don't wear a mask while you and/or your husband are riding by yourselves in the car!!!
I can understand someones concern ( a little bit) around other people, but this wearing a mask in a car all by yourself.......thats the ultimate in drinking the Kool-aid.

Please tell me you don't wear a mask while you and/or your husband are riding by yourselves in the car!!!
I can understand someones concern ( a little bit) around other people, but this wearing a mask in a car all by yourself.......thats the ultimate in drinking the Kool-aid.
No! I've wondered a lot about people who do that! In fact, when we are visiting with family members who we spend a lot of time with, we don't wear them. Public areas with random exposures though, yes

I've been guilty of wearing the mask by myself in the car. I just forget that it's on.

I love it when someone is walking around OUTSIDE all alone, with a mask on. Really????
I wear a mask when I walk into Walmart & I put it back on at the check-out. Most of our businesses do not "make" you wear one.
I heard my county and another one reported the police are going to refuse to arrest anyone for having "too many people" celebrating TG - which is what King Cuomo wants.

I've been guilty of wearing the mask by myself in the car. I just forget that it's on.
Me too! Like I said before, I don't really get why people get so upset over it.

When I first had to wear one, I admit I hated it. I felt like I could not breath, but my niece, who wears one all day at her job as a nurse that works with respiratory patients, told me to just get over it. She said just breath normal, and if you wear it enough, before long you won't even notice it is there. She was correct. although I occasionally struggle with my glasses fogging up. The proper fit helps with that, but most masks leave a gap so that my breath gets up under my glasses and they fog when my glasses are cooler than my breath. I just take my glasses off then, since it mostly happens when I'm hurrying and, not when I'm sitting reading something.

We may all eventually need to accept wearing masks as normal. Nobody questions wearing shoes to the store now, but I remember grumbling about it when I was young. We never wore shoes all summer long. My feet would get so tough on the bottoms, I could walk over almost anything. Sometimes we had to stay in the car when my Mom bought groceries, because no one had on shoes. We grumbled about how stupid and unfair it was. We always got new shoes just before school started and I hated having to put them on. They were usually too big, so we wouldn't need to buy another pair before the school year ended. Now I think some people have more shoes than underpants.

I love it when someone is walking around OUTSIDE all alone, with a mask on. Really????
I wear a mask when I walk into Walmart & I put it back on at the check-out. Most of our businesses do not "make" you wear one.
I heard my county and another one reported the police are going to refuse to arrest anyone for having "too many people" celebrating TG - which is what King Cuomo wants.
Part of the Great Reset of blind compliance.

Me too! Like I said before, I don't really get why people get so upset over it.

When I first had to wear one, I admit I hated it. I felt like I could not breath, but my niece, who wears one all day at her job as a nurse that works with respiratory patients, told me to just get over it. She said just breath normal, and if you wear it enough, before long you won't even notice it is there. She was correct. although I occasionally struggle with my glasses fogging up. The proper fit helps with that, but most masks leave a gap so that my breath gets up under my glasses and they fog when my glasses are cooler than my breath. I just take my glasses off then, since it mostly happens when I'm hurrying and, not when I'm sitting reading something.

We may all eventually need to accept wearing masks as normal. Nobody questions wearing shoes to the store now, but I remember grumbling about it when I was young. We never wore shoes all summer long. My feet would get so tough on the bottoms, I could walk over almost anything. Sometimes we had to stay in the car when my Mom bought groceries, because no one had on shoes. We grumbled about how stupid and unfair it was. We always got new shoes just before school started and I hated having to put them on. They were usually too big, so we wouldn't need to buy another pair before the school year ended. Now I think some people have more shoes than underpants.
If they said ok we all need to wear a mask for 2 weeks or 4 weeks and that would be it, then maybe just maybe i might say fine. But what happens is ....they will do 30 day mandate and then when that don't fix things, then its another 30 days, then another 30 days and on and on and the Governor and the health dept. tries to guilt and shame everybody.....we need to do better and if your not wearing a mask you are part of the problem....and if your a business and not enforcing mask wearing then you are part of the problem!
I was in Lowes today and i'll bet you 95% of the people were wearing a mask...about all big store are the same way.
Seems they want to imply that all those not wearing a mask are making everybody else sick.....I say BS

Being overweight is a risk factor.

From the National Center for Health Statistics.
1960 average adult man 5' 8" 166 lbs average woman 5' 3" 140 lbs

1979 average man 5' 9" 172 lbs bmi 25.3 (1 lb overweight)
1979 women 5' 4" 144 lbs bmi 25.0

1994 men 180 lbs bmi 26.6 & women 152 bmi 26.5
2004 men 195 lbs bmi 28.4 & women 165 bmi 28.4
2014 men 196 lbs bmi 28.7 & women 169 bmi 29.2

bmi normal 18.5-24.9 overweight 25-29.9
obese bmi 30+ morbidly obese 40+
no change in average height from 1979 to 2014

by subsets, men over age 40 gained the most weight
while for women it was those under 40 that gained the most

35 yrs from 1979-2014 men gained an average of 24 lbs & women 25 lbs
I do wonder who came up with these bmi numbers. If I look up my height and weight from back when I was falling timber it says I was over weight and nearly obese. The fact is I was ripped. Very low body fat and extremely fit. To get to "normal" I have to get down to what I weighed when I was 22 and setting chockers on a high lead logging operation. I was spending 5 days a week running (literally running) up and down steep mountains for 8 hours a day.

I think wearing a mask mostly prevents the spread by reducing how much people spit on everything when they talk (speaking "moistly")... I do think it's pretty limited in how well it works to prevent you from getting it..

There's all sorts of long term effects they're attributing to covid, from renal problems to neurological ones.. Sure, there could be some, but I think the laundry list might be a little exaggerated, or statistically negligible at least.

Some of these rules are ridiculous.. OK, I get wearing a mask indoors, but i had to take 2 hour ferry ride on Saturday, you have to wear a mask while out on deck too!

117245770_3297038450342960_5171436580150780644_n.jpg

I do wonder who came up with these bmi numbers. If I look up my height and weight from back when I was falling timber it says I was over weight and nearly obese. The fact is I was ripped. Very low body fat and extremely fit.
Dave you are correct.
BMI was designed as a rule of thumb for measuring the general health and fitness for comparing large groups of people. The greater the deviation from the 18.5-24.9 norm the higher the risk of mortality from all causes.

It was never intended for measuring individual health because of individual variation in % fat, muscle and bone density. Athletic body types will incorrectly be rated obese on a rule of thumb scale. Also tall or short people ie men over 6' 2" or under 5' 4" totally mess up rule of thumb measures. For individual health actual body fat measurements need to be taken to be of any use.

However a trained physician can eyeball an individual's BMI
the same as a trained cattle judge can BCS [body condition score] cattle.

Last edited:
I don't wear a mask 90% of the time. Physical therapy requires it and I can't wait to take it off as soon as I walk out the door. I will wear it into Walmart because they are getting really antsy about it with the latest govt bs mandate. Half the people don't have it over their nose as I don't so that I can breathe. Don't wear it in the local convenience store. I cannot hear what people say half the time when they have the mask on. More and more testing positive and the crackdown again on going places, numbers of people allowed in gatherings.... telling us that we cannot get together for family Thanksgiving.
I agree that we have compromised our immune systems by being TOO CLEAN as @Jeanne - Simme Valley suggested. Kids have far more allergies than they used to and it is in part that they are not exposed to small amounts of germs from a very young age. 2 studies I read last year said that one of the reasons that childhood asthma was so bad was the LACK of pets in the houses and their exposure to pets and fur and their dander in small doses at a young age.
Not one farm I have been on to test has anyone wearing a mask. There was no one at the stockyards wearing one yesterday when I hauled a load of calves for a neighbor and I have seen 3 people in the last month wearing a mask at our local stockyard. Friend had it, said she felt like crap for a few days, like a bad flu and is pretty much over it now. Her son had it in Alaska... out of work for the mandatory 2 weeks, and other than a little weakness , is back to snuff.
There is a Dr Roger Hodkinson in Edmunton Canada that did a you tube video recently.... Federal Expression Media.... where he lambastes the council for the ridiculous shutdowns....Another dr with good credentials, saying that this is totally absurd to shut down and lock down and wearing a mask is just silly and useless....
There are a lot of contaminants in the air that were not there in the fifties and the sixties and earlier. Could this be the reason for a lot of problems that are occurring now.

And the Jet contrails are mind control agents being sprayed by the government.
People have the longest life expectancy in history.
Since 1900 the global life expectancy has doubled.
What you dims can't wrap your head around is you are going to die. You are born terminal!

Latest posts