Covexin 8 at banding.

Help Support CattleToday:

Classyusa

Reaction score
I just got a chute and will be doing my first ever bandings on some 8mo-1 year calves. I have read and been told they will need a tetanus shot at banding time and another 4-6 weeks later.

Can I substitute one of the tetanus shots with covexin 8 to kill 2 birds with one stone? If I am reading the label correctly it has tetanus vaccine in it.

Let me know if this is a silly idea or if it is just better to use a straight tetanus shot for both doese.

What @Ky hills said in a perfect world. But I don't live in a perfect world and it's not possible to round 'em all up 2 weeks prior to banding (at appx. 3 months). So yes, Covexin 8 or Calvary 9 at the time of banding will at least help. Not sure where you're located, but if it's fly season, be sure to stay on top of it with spraying (or whatever fly control you use).

@Ky hills is the Colorado Serum back in stock? I knew there was quite some time when it was not available.

What @Ky hills said in a perfect world. But I don't live in a perfect world and it's not possible to round 'em all up 2 weeks prior to banding (at appx. 3 months). So yes, Covexin 8 or Calvary 9 at the time of banding will at least help. Not sure where you're located, but if it's fly season, be sure to stay on top of it with spraying (or whatever fly control you use).

@Ky hills is the Colorado Serum back in stock? I knew there was quite some time when it was not available.
I tried to find some Anti-Toxin a week or so ago, couldn't find it anywhere.

I have been able to find it for a while again at our Southern States Co op.
Was just in there a couple weeks ago to get some more, and they said somebody had came in earlier that morning and bought what they had. My guess is that they are maybe getting a limited supply.
I agree with your post about the perfect world, yeah I don't live there either. A few years ago when I couldn't get any of the anti toxin, I used one dose of the Covexin 8 or Cavalry 9 can't remember which and went on and banded. Had to put down a really good 500+ calf. So now I either try to go by the book or leave as a bull. The dock for a bull is a lot better than nothing at all.
I will say that I will band fairly small calves with just the one Covexin 8 or Cavalry 9 shot if I can easily get the little green bands on. Anything bigger I'd be afraid to risk just giving one
Edited to add: I just checked Jeffers and PBS, both say the tetanus anti toxin is out of stock, here we go again, more stuff unavailable.

Last edited:
I use Vision CDT. Try to give 2 doses. 1 a couple weeks before and then when we band. Doesn't always happen.

Sounds like big calves. What type of bander are you using?

If you can, it is best to give the doses before banding and then band and 2nd dose 2 to 3 weeks later just like Ky hills said. They won't be fully protected against tetanus otherwise.

(The rest of this post was wrong and I have edited it to avoid giving bad advice.)

Last edited:
If you can, it is best to give the doses before banding and then band and 2nd dose 2 to 3 weeks later just like Ky hills said. They won't be fully protected against tetanus otherwise. But as TCRanch said, none of live in a perfect world, and the risk of tetanus when you band is smaller as opposed to cutting them. It can still happen, but the risk is smaller.
I totally disagree that the risk is less for banding than cutting them. If knife cutting the risk of tetnus is almost 0. But i still give the tetnus antioxidant even if i knife cut. Done a few an hour ago.

I totally disagree that the risk is less for banding than cutting them. If knife cutting the risk of tetnus is almost 0. But i still give the tetnus antioxidant even if i knife cut. Done a few an hour ago.
Yes, tetanus thrives in anaerobic conditions which are plentifull in and around the dieing and shrivelled up scrotum in banding. Spores can already be in the circulation from other wounds and from wounds in the mouth and teeth eruption. A good clean knife castration wound with good drainage poses less risk in my opinion.

Ken

I just bought the Colorado serum last month, couldn't be found for a while .

You are more experienced than I am so I will defer to you. However, with banding, there is no open wound at the beginning. The risk does increase the older the calf is.

A break or scratch but not an open wound is how i understand it. Maybe the vets will chime in.
As I said, you have much more experience than me so I will defer to you and the Vets. I was only saying what my understanding was. Around here, most folks vaccinate at banding, but I totally agree that if you do that then an anti-toxin should be given. I was having a hard time finding it last year.

Yes, tetanus thrives in anaerobic conditions which are plentifull in and around the dieing and shrivelled up scrotum in banding. Spores can already be in the circulation from other wounds and from wounds in the mouth and teeth eruption. A good clean knife castration wound with good drainage poses less risk in my opinion.

Ken
I did not see your post before Ken. I was wrong.

Buck and Ken.
Some of the studies i have seen show a very slight response to the first shot but a huge response once the second shot was given. A good friend, died recently, that was a large animal vet always told me that if the second shot wasn't given when required that the first shot might as well been squirted up in the air.

Latest posts