covered hay molding

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
we put up some hay a few weeks ago.....placed it on pallets and stacked it in a pyramid with 3 rolls at the bottom then covered it with a tarp.....now the hay was rained on once and I let it dry for 4 days before the next round of rain came in.....well now the hay has some mold on it and what looks like mushrooms sprouting on some of it.....If I could just get a few days without rain I'd uncover it and let it get some sunshine and more air but we have had rain almost every other afternoon (going on 3 weeks now, when did I move to Florida?)......long story short if and when it stops raining and I uncover the hay will it be able to dry out enough to stop the molding? am I ruining my hay? thanks for all comments......Chris.

If you are covering it with plastic I think the humidity under the plastic will be like a steam room with Alabama's humidity. Personally when I store hay outside a barn I don't cover it if its a fine textured hay such as bermuda and the roll is tight. I will get some loss from the outside and will get some mold on it but nothing to fret about since I'm not feeding horses. I'd suggest not stacking them and laying them out where they can get some air. Seems to work pretty good for me.

Folks here usually test moisture before round baling and then let the bales "sweat" for a day or two before putting them into storage.

Sounds like you did a good job of stacking them but the bales were not dry enough for your system.

Can you borrow a moisture tester?

Next time you stack them lay plastic down on the ground under the pallets. When the ground is wet and warm the moisture will rise and collect at the point of greatest temperature change, which is the tarp covering them. If you can't do this it would be better just to leave them uncovered where they can get air. If it is molding under the tarp, there is a danger of spontaneous combustion, and it don't need to be stacked in or near a building, unless you have good insurance.

thanks for comments......today 40% chance of rain, Sunday 50% chance.....monday-friday 10-20% chance I think I'll uncover the hay and hope it doesn't rain....if it does I guess I'll just have to give up and store it outside uncovered :(

If you do uncover it and leave it for a while I'd unstack the bales and run them north south end to end without touching each other on the sides. When they are stacked in a pyramid or even laid side by side the bales tend to hold water and mold where they are touching.

do any of you leave clover round bales uncovered? we have stacked and covered (not all the way) and it does seem to mold anyway. the cow's eat it and we haven't had a problem. this year we are not going to stack it or cover it so I hope it don't do to bad. We were told you have got to cover clover any advice would be welcomed. thanks

snickers":12sg9ag7 said:
do any of you leave clover round bales uncovered? we have stacked and covered (not all the way) and it does seem to mold anyway. the cow's eat it and we haven't had a problem. this year we are not going to stack it or cover it so I hope it don't do to bad. We were told you have got to cover clover any advice would be welcomed. thanks
I would cover it but make sure it has went thru the sweat and if possible leave it unstacked and uncovered for a couple of weeks and make sure it is good and dry before stacking or covering

Latest posts