Couple Mangey Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I think Cf you should quit now as you obviously have NO idea what you are doing. :p :lol2:

Looking really good, that first one is a show stopper. What are you going to breed them to ?

Jovid even a 2 month dry period is more than acceptable for a cow before she calves again , assuming you know what you are doing as far as feed and mineral management go .

hillsdown":2x6w3dji said:
I think Cf you should quit now as you obviously have NO idea what you are doing. :p :lol2:

Looking really good, that first one is a show stopper. What are you going to breed them to ?

Jovid even a 2 month dry period is more than acceptable for a cow before she calves again , assuming you know what you are doing as far as feed and mineral management go

I understand that. What I don't understand is why someone would wait to wean until 9 months old

I usually wean calves around 8 or 9 months, if we've got the grass. The cows these calves came off are borderline too fat as it is, why give them another 3 months to pack on the pounds. It costs me roughly the same to feed that cow for 12 months regardless whether she's nursing for 6 or 9 months, every pound she puts on that calf is money in my pocket. I try to pull the calves off heifers around 6 or 7 months, depending on the heifer mostly. If a mature cow can't make do on a 3 mo vacation, she can find a new home.

jscunn - The baldie is out of a comm. angus cow, don't think there's anything funky in her off the top of my head. The brockle's dam has around 1/4 or so simmi in her.

hd - I'll breed them to an angus bull this winter, but I've got to find one first. Wonder if there's any angus bulls for sale in this country? After that, I'm thinking red gelbvieh.

I'm just ticked that no one has talked up the steers. Their ADG is a bit low but their docility EPD is thru the roof!

Jovid":38yaq6em said:
hillsdown":38yaq6em said:

Jovid even a 2 month dry period is more than acceptable for a cow before she calves again , assuming you know what you are doing as far as feed and mineral management go

I understand that. What I don't understand is why someone would wait to wean until 9 months old

It is easier to ween a whole group all at once , than one at a time, so it all depends on your calving intervals . Either way you will always get an adjusted ween weight no matter the ages of weening .

Cf, a red GV would be unbelievable on those heifers ..

Job well done , beautyful heifers deep and long. Since so much has been done and said about the Copyright bull, why don´t you AI the heifers to that bull,let´s see what you get out of that mating, the bull sure looks good and your heifers just as good.

chamo":32iq0b3o said:
Job well done , beautyful heifers deep and long. Since so much has been done and said about the Copyright bull, why don´t you AI the heifers to that bull,let´s see what you get out of that mating, the bull sure looks good and your heifers just as good.

Thanks, but I'm not much into fads.

every body has there own system of weaning ..... but i dont like go much over 7 months i start calving mid feb and wean labor day weekend... those few days off give me time to work with em if i need to

re weaning age/weight ...

it is actually more efficient to feed a female and a calf seperately than it is to feed them with the calf still suckling (the process of making milk is inefficient), which is why they suggest early weaning during times of drought/feed shortages etc.

however, as weaning age decreases the required level of management increases. So if there is plenty of feed, from a management and input standpoint, you are better off weaning later, the key point is as long as there is plenty of feed. older weaning ages are lower maintenance, but require more feed.

hope that made sense

3waycross":29p87t6g said:
cfpinz":29p87t6g said:
Jake":29p87t6g said:
seeing how you know how to get here now just send them poor welfare cases to me and I'll make sure they have a good home.

If those heifers wind up in KS I'm coming with them.

You wouldn't say that if you were with me last week in Hutch. 108 to 110 degrees and a hot south wind. Man was I glad to come home to the Mtns. I sure do like that country though.

That was a real good heat not one of those boring dry heats, no we like the humidity too. The soybeans on the other hand did not enjoy the heat. The cattle just found shade and survived.

Latest posts