Country-speak

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
http://www.dailyyonder.com/rural-langua ... 08/22/7495
I regard the Daily Yonder as insufferably liberal, but this one is pretty good. We've talked old time sayings before on here. And it was interesting. My mother, now 89, surprised me once by stating that a woman we knew casually was "driving her chickens to a poor market" when she married a man mom did not approve.
So, got any good country speak?

Heard my grandmother say this about some wannabe socialite in our home town:
She just acts highfalutin--I'd like to buy her for what she's worth and sell 'er for what she thinks she is.

Nearly 100 views but only a few participants? Must be lots of people just reading.
"Hey, you boys gonna jump in here and help out or just sit around like a bucket of stale pizz all night?"

Chuckie":3avyxdeo said:
My Grandmother always said, "We are going to eat dreckly." Or, "I'll be over at your house dreckly."
Mostly mine would point that crooked old finger at me and scowl, saying "I'll get your good eye boy!!"

50 years later, I still don't know what that meant and never want to find out.
dang ol witch

My mom never cursed and still doesn't but when she got PO'd she would always say "horse feathers" .

I guess I was feeding my doll one time in her high chair when I was about 4 yrs old and made the doll say 'but mommy you gave me too much " I replied "horse shytt I did " apparently my dad said that quite often and never got the feather memo :lol: .

I am sure I use country speak to my nephew according to him . I will ask him tomorrow what unusual phrases I say and post them . Bet y'all say them too . ;-)

Chuckie":32idhn4d said:
Hillsdown, when they got through with you, could you have applied for a job at the Lawrance Welk show? (blowing bubbles) :lol2:

I think my mom was speechless as it was quite unexpected , and she says that after the shock she had quite a good laugh (after scolding me of course). ;-)

I think my punishment was making me watch the Lawrence Welk show . :p

Btw I am related to him by marriage , he is married to my cousins cousins husband or something . :lol:

My grandma always said when you snitched on a cousin "boy you need tend to your own knitting" . I still don't get into other peoples problems I got enough of my own

Chuckie":2h4unhib said:
greybeard, I bet you were a mean little kid with her wanting to poke you in the eye! :lol2:
I gave what I got towards her.
I "did" get up in the middle of the night when she stayed with us in the winter, (she came riding in on her broom according to my Dad) and I'd sneak over and turn her electric blanket controls down a couple of notches when she wouldn't let us listen to the ball games on radio or watch any TV because "I have to watch my programs--yall know that" (soap operas).