Country music isn't country anymore.

Help Support CattleToday:

It's just a fact of aging. My Dad didn't like the "new stuff" by Waylon or Willie. He says he only likes music by dead people. I heard once that for the majority of people, their favorite music will forever be what they listened to while they were teenagers. I feel sorry for my kids.

ChrisB said:
It's just a fact of aging. My Dad didn't like the "new stuff" by Waylon or Willie. He says he only likes music by dead people. I heard once that for the majority of people, their favorite music will forever be what they listened to while they were teenagers. I feel sorry for my kids.

There is a lot of truth to that. My grandparents thought country music in the 70s was terrible. I remember them saying that Loretta Lynn was awful; today, most consider her the real thing.

I had a great uncle whose favorite was Jimmie Rodgers. He said he wouldn't give five cents to listen to Johnny Cash, and he called Waylon and Willie "hippie music." Oh well.

It is difficult for me to imagine 30 years into the future, and people are saying things like, "whatever happened to real country music, like Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, and Miranda Lambert? :shock:

I live about 45 minutes south of Nashville, it has been my experience that the further you get away from Nashville you can actually tune in a country station. Today's country SUCKS. There are a some good artists in Texas that my family and I listen too , Just to name a few: Cody Johnson, Aaron Watson, Jon Wolfe, Pat Green, Ned Ledoux (Chris's son from Wyoming).

herofan said:
ChrisB said:

There is a lot of truth to that. My grandparents thought country music in the 70s was terrible. I remember them saying that Loretta Lynn was awful; today, most consider her the real thing.

I had a great uncle whose favorite was Jimmie Rodgers. He said he wouldn't give five cents to listen to Johnny Cash, and he called Waylon and Willie "hippie music." Oh well.

It is difficult for me to imagine 30 years into the future, and people are saying things like, "whatever happened to real country music, like Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, and Miranda Lambert? :shock:
Fun fact: Celebrity Chef Shane Cash, who was one of the chefs that toured the ranch last week with Creekstone Farms, is the great nephew of Johnny Cash.

I will grudgingly admit I tuned in to the awards show.....only because I knew King George was going to preform. He was the only act during the whole thing that I could stand. I pretty much detest the new "country" artists. I do happen to like Ned LeDoux and Chris Stapleton, but they sound (and look, for that matter) more like the country I was raised with.

ChrisB said:

I never liked watching Porter Wagoner much but Hootenanny was pretty darn good back in the day.

pricefarm said:
There's a new radio station here 96.3 the possum that plays only older country music. It's about all I listen to now.

The sister station by the same moniker must be here. They play lots of George Jones and that era.

TCRanch said:
snoopdog said:
I'm just a redneck in a rock@roll bar, they're starin at me like a bug in a jar!
I went to the Shinedown/Papa Roach concert last month - essentially the token middle aged white woman sporting a camo jacket & cowboy boots.
I don't fit into any categories that I know of. I dislike labels.

midTN_Brangusman said:
I live about 45 minutes south of Nashville, it has been my experience that the further you get away from Nashville you can actually tune in a country station. Today's country SUCKS. There are a some good artists in Texas that my family and I listen too , Just to name a few: Cody Johnson, Aaron Watson, Jon Wolfe, Pat Green, Ned Ledoux (Chris's son from Wyoming).

I have been a die hard AM 650 wsm listener for about 20 years since the other stations all went "new country". But now even wsm has let me down. I now listen mainly to pandora , Daryl Singletary radio most of the time. There is a pretty good country station in Decatur, AL. If you can pick it up.

Yes, it is 96.9 not 96.7 I wasn't thinking. I do like 94.9 out of Roanoke just because they play 12 in a row and there aren't alot of ads and such. But they play more of the "newer" country and there is more repetition. But They are not the worst and I do like the morning show with them. 96.9 does blue grass on Sat nights I think or maybe it is Sunday morning. I can't get it at my house, but once I get about 3 miles north of our 205 exit, I can get it. Having older vehicles, there is no such thing as sirius radio in my vehicle. And I just cannot seem to put out extra money for the different stations or radio options. I also get the different talk stations as I get a few miles north, so listen to alot of it when I am heading to and from work. I might go days without hearing much and then when I am testing several days in a row, will get caught up on some stuff.