Cougar

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
A cougar was seen within a mile of our place 3 nights ago. Last night we saw something again in that area. Hubby says he was sure it was a coyote but can't be sure - it was pretty dark last night. I worry enough about the coyotes but to add a cougar to the mix just puts me into overload on the worry department. Don't know how aggressive cougars are at livestock kills. So far haven't heard of anyone having livestock troubles. Hope it stays that way.

There are getting to be more and more cougar sightings here (ND) too. I haven't heard of any cattle trouble, but there have been several attacks on horses the last few years. Some nasty gashes in the hind quarters and neck area. I don't think any horses have died tho. The Game and Fish Dept. always say's their just passing thru but I doubt that, too many sightings lately.
A bowhunter killed one last year he thought was threatening him.....Crazy, but I guess their here to stay.

I know of someone.... Dont really know his name says he is from KANSAS..... that shot one earlier this year while trapping.....

I wont go out into our woods anymore without carrying a pistol.... Nor do I let my kids go out unaccompanied anymore.... 2

my neighbors across the river (and my daughter's babysitter) said they saw one yesterday morning, mtn lion, up on the hill not too far from there house. wonder if its the same one that was killing sheep here last yr. there was one killing sheep and then leaving them without eating them just up the road from here.

A friend that we bought a filly from sold a mare to some TX folks. Mare was killed in pasture by cougars. She was not weak or sick to the best of my knowing.

It's hard for me to believe a health mare would be killed by a cougar. I could see a colt or calf being taken, or a sick animal, but not a healthy full grown horse or cow. I have been known to be wrong though.

Most unfortunate situation. I won't say that it was a cougar, but probably cougars

I found it hard to believe as well, but was told by a generally reliable source. :?: :shock: :?:

Cougars are generally solitary animals. Certainly the males are other than breeding season. However, the young stay with their mother for about two years. A two year old cougar is a fairly good size predator capable of killing a full grown deer with ease. A man just north of me had a llama killed by a cougar. He ended up killing three cougars at the site. It was a female with her two grown young ones.
Cougars do have a thing for horse meat. I don't know why I always prefered beef or venison but to each their own. I have heard of a number of full grown horses pulled down by cougars.
Dave

fellersbarnoneranch":3ryekdo6 said:
Private Investigator. Remember Magnum, P.I.?
yes. That's it! private investigator!

Thanks Dave for the affirmation--sometimes I think I may be losing it!!! Still waiting for my fact check reply, Sidney--keep ya posted. :)

OK - I get it P.I. I was somewhere else with that one :roll:

Dave - That is amazing that cougars could being down a horse. I would think that a horse could easily outrun a cougar. I guess it's always up to the predator animal to find a way to outsmart the prey.

Sidney, A deer or elk could out run a cougar too. Cougars are very fast for a short distance. They sneak as close as possible to their prey and attack with a quick burst of speed.
Dave

I asked my friend:
Got into an interesting discussion about predators and was trying to cite that incident but could not remember the details. Was she ill or lame? Cougar/cougars???

She replied:
No, she wasn't sick or lame. From my understanding it was one cougar -- the game warden came out and confirmed it was from a cougar.

And this was a big mare! Amazing what predators can accomplish! (and eerie)

Based on accounts I read when a boy, the cougars typically drop from a tree branch onto their prey. Also read an account of an old horned Hereford bull killing a cougar by mashing her through a corral fence.

Latest posts