Costs per cow per year

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
People on this board always say $400/ cow per year.
I would like to see this list itemized.
Feed
vet
tax
vac
etc
I would also like to talk about the cheaper up keep breeds and there over all profit. This is strictly comercial conversation. Anyway of keeping costs down is welcome.

Don't know about the other breeds, but Longhorns are probably the most cost-effective, disease resistant breed out there. They can "survive" on next to nothing; however, if you want them to look "good" you have to treat them like other breeds.

This aside,

Our vaccination and de-worming costs run about $20 a year per head (including Vet's Brucellosis vacc. of heifers).

Our hay, mineral, supplements, water (elec. for well pump) ranges from about $25 to $50 per month per 1000# animal unit, depending on time of year, available grass in our pasture, etc.

Our TAHC accreditation program for TB and Brucellosis usually averages about $15 per head for animals over 18 months of age.

If we add in repair and maintenance costs, insurance, and other overhead expenses, the cost per animal unit goes up obviously.

We feed #1 bermudagrass hay (12% protein) year around since our grazing of native bermuda is limited due to our stocking rate.

With our Longhorns, we have never had an animal injury that required a Vet (or even us) and have never had an animal become sick. Never have to pull calves. So, even though our feeding and preventive medical program is perhaps higher than a lot of the commercial breed ranchers per animal unit, our next to nothing Vet costs (and treating sick animals) probably brings us close to what other breed producers spend on feed, hay, minerals, and Vet services combined.

There are some differences and some simularities between the horse and the cow business but the common denominator is cost of operation. One of the best moves we've made was to get with one feed company that met our needs and sticking with it. We've had a locked in yearly contract with the company (not the dealer) for five years and right now our cost per ton is right at $60 less then regular retail. We figure an average annual savings of $2000.

We never call the vet out if we can get the horse in a trailer. A round trip to the Vet right now cost us about $15 and the call out fee is about $60. We give all our own shots and for things the vet has to do like coggins tests and rabies we'll sit it up to haul 5 or 6 at a time and get a little bit of a discount that way.

Taxes area problem for everyone and the only thing you can do is keep every receipt even for a handful of nails and claim it.

As far as maintainence and repairs we have a flat fee phone service and I'll call a dozen places to get the best overall deal including the cost of getting there and I don't throw away anything that has any life left in it. I've known people who would throw a 1/2" bolt on the ground or in the trash and then turn around the next week and have to buy one just like it.

To answer your question it looks like 2006 is going to figure between $425 to $450 per head.Z

auctionboy":16urft6g said:
So Bill,
What would you think is your cost per cow per year?

Without running figures on our 5 year database, we're probably looking between $400 and $600 a year for an 1000# Animal Unit. We're had lows as little as $15 a month and as high as $65 a month per A.U. Lot depends on forage availability, hay, any feed supplements, etc., etc. You need to calculate your own figures... ;-) based on your hay prices, pasture condition, type of minerals, etc., for your geographic location. No two places have the same costs.

Another consideration: To be "safe" (based on 2006 costs), you want go too wrong if you:

(1) Figure $500 per cattle animal unit.
(2) Figure $1000 per horse animal unit.

This assumes, of course, you are only counting direct expenses and you own your property and are not leasing, buying, or boarding any livestock outside your operation.

An accurate, detailed, income & expense record is must if you are going to know your "true" costs of operation and keep the IRS off your back. Provide a buyer with a "quality" invoice and expect the same from the seller. Separate bank accounts for your livestock operation apart from your personal bank account. Also, keep detailed records of all health items as well as your feeding costs--a historical record is the basis for where you are NOW and where you are heading into the FUTURE.

I'm confused.
Maybe this is bookkeeping purpose only, but if your annual expense is $500 per cow, and the calf sells for an avg of $500, how is anyone making money?

T-Bro":5u8lo4wt said:
I'm confused.
Maybe this is bookkeeping purpose only, but if your annual expense is $500 per cow, and the calf sells for an avg of $500, how is anyone making money?

Cow cost should be around $400. This is a drought year. Lots of folks are not showing good profits.

Then there are those who culled heavy in the late summer. Sold a cow/calf pairs. Cost of those cows will be way down if they only fed her 7 months instead of 12 etc. They still sold the calf and took the profit.

I sold a heck of a lot of hay this year and I don't have many head to feed. May do the same next year.

T-Bro":3cuf7sno said:
I'm confused.

You are not confused a lot of people are pumping money in with out a clue how to control cost. They get that salebarn check and brag about the 4 or 5 thousand dollars they made.
And turn around and think they are winning writing off the 10,0000 dollars they had to put in on top stay afloat. The best they got back was 3300 of the orignal 10,000 in taxes.
How long would you be able to pay your shareholders on Wall Street with those management practices. I finished the books this morning so far to date I have 86 cents a day in Old Belle.
I was lucky this year rain at the right time, lots of attention to the pastures, made xtra hay no loses this year . Compared to last which sucked had to put down two first time heifers had one hit by a falling tree in Rita that had to be put down. Fences tore all to H and back, these losses had to be charged to the operation, the heifers were retained so there was no write off there.
If you aint got em you can't loose them.

T-Bro":2p7rfcl1 said:
I'm confused.

Depends on whether you are selling at sale barn or calves/yearlings via private treaty, etc.

Our weaned heifers are selling between $1500 and $2500 on average. Weaned bulls between $800 and $1000 on average. Cows on average between $2500 and $3500. Of course, I'm talking about registered seedstock. This is all that we do... Of course, this is not the whole story of our sales...some sell for higher prices. However, we won't sell a weaned or yearling heifer or bull to an individual for less than $800. An occasional "cull" that just happens goes to sale barn as soon as weaned...

Caustic Burno":331c0eaf said:
T-Bro":331c0eaf said:
I'm confused.

You are not confused a lot of people are pumping money in with out a clue how to control cost. They get that salebarn check and brag about the 4 or 5 thousand dollars they made.
And turn around and think they are winning writing off the 10,0000 dollars they had to put in on top stay afloat. The best they got back was 3300 of the orignal 10,000 in taxes.
How long would you be able to pay your shareholders on Wall Street with those management practices. I finished the books this morning so far to date I have 86 cents a day in Old Belle.
I was lucky this year rain at the right time, lots of attention to the pastures, made xtra hay no loses this year . Compared to last which sucked had to put down two first time heifers had one hit by a falling tree in Rita that had to be put down. Fences tore all to H and back, these losses had to be charged to the operation, the heifers were retained so there was no write off there.
If you aint got em you can't loose them.

I'm curious. What is your heard. Are they registered. Do you sell beef or breeding stock?

auctionboy":5yqahghz said:
People on this board always say $400/ cow per year.
I would like to see this list itemized.
Feed
vet
tax
vac
etc
I would also like to talk about the cheaper up keep breeds and there over all profit. This is strictly comercial conversation. Anyway of keeping costs down is welcome.

I don't know how often they do these things, but in here's the estimate for 1999. Your local extension office might have this information for your local area.

http://www.vermeerag.com/more/onthefarm ... .cfm?id=15

hersh":chr4xhlp said:
I'm curious. What is your heard. Are they registered. Do you sell beef or breeding stock?

You can look back through Caustics posts and find out all of that information.

Heck, as far as this thread goes, the whole "cost per cow per year" has been discussed over and over in the previous threads. You'll probably find all the answers you ever wanted by searching back.

I'm sure someone will come up and start this thread again over and over in the future. No big deal.

If you find out who is the "real deal" of the folks posting in these threads, then go back and read what they've posted previously, you can really learn a lot. At one time I had read everyone of Caustic's posts. I had read all of Dun's, Milkmaid's and msscamp's too.

Anyway, if Caustic doesn't respond to your question, go back and read some of his posts. You'll get your answer.

I may be doing something wrong. But my costs very year to year based on herd size. This year I'm covering my fixed costs with fewer animals. Driving per animal cost much higher. Variable costs(feed,ect)per animal are also much higher this year due to the drought. I pretty much know where I stand in my head all the time. Wife will crunch the numbers in the computer and verify. Next question- If I'm running a business why would I want to make my costs public? (Thats like shooting yourself in the head.) If I was a buyer and you told me what it cost you to produce your product, I know what my cost would be, I few cents more than yours.

backhoeboogie":1f5nzce3 said:
hersh":1f5nzce3 said:

You can look back through Caustics posts and find out all of that information.

Heck, as far as this thread goes, the whole "cost per cow per year" has been discussed over and over in the previous threads. You'll probably find all the answers you ever wanted by searching back.

I'm sure someone will come up and start this thread again over and over in the future. No big deal.

If you find out who is the "real deal" of the folks posting in these threads, then go back and read what they've posted previously, you can really learn a lot. At one time I had read everyone of Caustic's posts. I had read all of Dun's, Milkmaid's and msscamp's too.

Anyway, if Caustic doesn't respond to your question, go back and read some of his posts. You'll get your answer.

all 3800 delightful posts.. :lol: OK, thank you for responding. Every board has their recurring threads and their delicate geniuses so I'll prolly just loose my interest. Dats alot of reading.

Bluestem":2i5rxkc7 said:
I may be doing something wrong. But my costs very year to year based on herd size. This year I'm covering my fixed costs with fewer animals. Driving per animal cost much higher. Variable costs(feed,ect)per animal are also much higher this year due to the drought. I pretty much know where I stand in my head all the time. Wife will crunch the numbers in the computer and verify. Next question- If I'm running a business why would I want to make my costs public? (Thats like shooting yourself in the head.) If I was a buyer and you told me what it cost you to produce your product, I know what my cost would be, I few cents more than yours.
Your calves don't get bought according to how much you put into them, but there market value.
I was just wondering about others costs, I know what I spend.

some years you have to figure a high price for the manure in order to break even

so far to date I have 86 cents a day in Old Belle.

Not critcizing the .86 just curious, i didn't know you were one to name critters. Just for the record i name all of mine i found a simple system i just name them by Color; Blacky, Red, Uno (cow with one horn) Freckles, Midnight, Goggles and "that fence jumping %$*#$@&" The last one works on all colors.

Latest posts