cost of raising heifer to be bred vs buying bred cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus":2rrhwqgw said:
so uscangus you said that you bought old poor bcs bred cows at the sale and then your heifers are arriving this month. just to make sure i have this correct. :D and another thing did you have a select buyer buy them and thats why they are "arriving"
yes, i bought old poor bcs bred cows due to malnurished cows that seller did not have enought hay or pasture for his place. they gave some black angus bull calves. now the cows are back to 6 on bcs due a lot pastures.

the second question are young heifers around 650 lbs that i need to wait till Dec. to breed

since price of beef cattle are so high during this year, people are retaining their heifers for future stocks. bred cows are high prices-950 and up (good disposition and bcs), and some are selling adult cow around 65 cents per weight. in my area, there are few good bred cows. the 3 and 1 are selling around 1500. with limited number of beef cattle and high price of bred cows, the cost of acquiring and raising cows or heifers are difficult to decide. how about in your area.

I think bred registered black angus heifers are still in the $1000 to $1200 range around here. I haven't bought any in over a year, I lost trust in the breeder I bought from last and don't want to chance buying anymore. I'll just raise my own from here on, it's slower, but also cost a whole lot less.

RD-Sam":3opt9cma said:
I think bred registered black angus heifers are still in the $1000 to $1200 range around here. I haven't bought any in over a year, I lost trust in the breeder I bought from last and don't want to chance buying anymore. I'll just raise my own from here on, it's slower, but also cost a whole lot less.

i agree and doing slowly. i am also keeping my heifers since i know the mother with greater utter and bull. time to time, i am hoping to find some
young bred cows that are three to four year olds during dec and jan when people do not want to feed a lot cows during winter or do not have much hay
or pastures. i am hoping that i may find some nice young heifers around 500 wt. thanks for your input.

RD-Sam":1v4md2zk said:

i agree and doing slowly. i am also keeping my heifers since i know the mother with greater utter and bull. time to time, i am hoping to find some
young bred cows that are three to four year olds during dec and jan when people do not want to feed a lot cows during winter or do not have much hay
or pastures. i am hoping that i may find some nice young heifers around 500 wt. thanks for your input.

RD-Sam":3vvkrzjh said:

RD-Sam":17j8a328 said:

I have an chance to buy a bred Hereford heifer from a friend who raises cattle.
Shes been bred with a Hereford bull.
I was hoping she had been bred with a black bull but he said they used a smaller red bull that he has.
Im not sure what she weighs, what do you think would be a fair price for her.
She is not sold as registered and the vet will check pregnancy.
Im just to darn afraid to buy from our local livestock.

Bill

i have one heifer that needs culling not growing 495 lbs at 15 mo. her siblings are same age & 650-720 also she had a leg injury that now seems fine . ? is i know what shes been eating GRASS so im thinking butchering her for my consumption, should i change her diet for the next 2 mo. as she got vac with the others so i have to wait 2 mo. or just let her finish off on grass.

wildsawmill":34e2bkok said:
i have one heifer that needs culling not growing 495 lbs at 15 mo. her siblings are same age & 650-720 also she had a leg injury that now seems fine . ? is i know what shes been eating GRASS so im thinking butchering her for my consumption, should i change her diet for the next 2 mo. as she got vac with the others so i have to wait 2 mo. or just let her finish off on grass.
Do you like grass fed beef? If you do, let her finish on grass, if you don;t like it throw some grain to her

BILL CLAYLAND":1tm0co3u said:
I have an chance to buy a bred Hereford heifer from a friend who raises cattle.
Shes been bred with a Hereford bull.
I was hoping she had been bred with a black bull but he said they used a smaller red bull that he has.
Im not sure what she weighs, what do you think would be a fair price for her.
She is not sold as registered and the vet will check pregnancy.
Im just to darn afraid to buy from our local livestock.

Bill

Bred, commercial Hereford heifers weighing about 800-900 lb were about $650 if in very good condition - 5-6 BCS, healthy and good conformation. It has been a couple years since I bought one. May be a bit higher now. What difference does it make what color the bull was as long as it wasn't one who sired monster calves? What are you planning to do with the calf? Good luck. Jim

Jim,
As far as the color of the bull, I was just worried about hi birth weight for a heifer,
I was told the bull wasn't a monster. :lol:
I have only one cow now that is bread, My plan is 6 girls on the place.

with prices are so high on heifer, bred cow, cow/calf, or 3/1, it is hard to make a profit in the future.
albeit, the feed is so low but cannot last for ever. i am worried about the push of corn prices due shortage of wheat and cost of foods
in the world. also, again, the push of ethanol by the administration. in my area, everyone is retaining their heifers. it is hard to get
2nd or 3rd year cow. uscangus.................

alot depends on what you have to give for cows to figure their breakeven cost.i just got a price on 4 reg beefmasters 2 3yr olds an 2 2yr olds.they are either pairs or bred cows.an i can get them for $1750ea or $1625 ea.to get the lower price id have to let him keep a weanling bull calf.

bigbull338":8vg7vbqb said:
alot depends on what you have to give for cows to figure their breakeven cost.i just got a price on 4 reg beefmasters 2 3yr olds an 2 2yr olds.they are either pairs or bred cows.an i can get them for $1750ea or $1625 ea.to get the lower price id have to let him keep a weanling bull calf.

thanks a lot bigbull338 for your generous response, what is a beefmasters? Sorry for being a newbie, in short, my herds are only black angus. i am still learning as a gentleman or part-time farmers. i wished i could that i could have started as a farmer instead a dentist. you get a better satisfaction seeing something grow. thanks anyway for your help. uscangus....

uscangus":vuv40wkr said:
bigbull338":vuv40wkr said:

thanks a lot bigbull338 for your generous response, what is a beefmasters? Sorry for being a newbie, in short, my herds are only black angus. i am still learning as a gentleman or part-time farmers. i wished i could that i could have started as a farmer instead a dentist. you get a better satisfaction seeing something grow. thanks anyway for your help. uscangus....

Here you go. Everything you ever wanted to know about Cattle breeds. http://cattle-today.com/

beefmasters was created by the lassiter ranch.they have brahama hereford an shorthorn in them.we are all still learning about cattle.

bigbull338":71yffewu said:
Wow and the last group you bought was only $800 a head.

TB that shows you the differance in people that sell their cattle or want to sell them.ive bought from this guy before.an i know the bloodlines he buys.an he knows what they are worth.plus these are all 1st an 2nd calf cows.his wife got on him pretty good for wanting to sell all the cows an heifers.so he is keeping the older cows now.2 of the cows should be short bred an if not its because he kept trying to AI them to long.he said he luted them an turned them in with the bull.

with winter coming in northwest, i would expect a drop in price of beef cow, bred cow, heifer, or steer. since rain and cold have arrived, you would expect people would dumped their livestock. i see very limited drop of price and the price have been steady.
i looked in craigslist and still price is upward stable. how about in your area.

Latest posts