Cost of Premium Feeds

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
What is everyone paying for show calf feed??

We feed Acco Finisher and it is just under $12.00. And going up daily.

I use the same Ration as Bob Funk does at Express Ranches(from the same mill) and all together Processed, Mixed, Bagged, and Wrapped is $9.05 a bag... $181.00.. Thats what it was 4 Months ago. i dont care to fathom what it is now.

iowahawkeyes":xnykob0x said:
Our is $100 per ton bulk.

What's in it rocks and sticks? $100 a ton for any type of grain would be pretty amazing. :roll:

We also feed protocal. It seems to be consisitant and one of the lowest priced. The local feed store that carries protocal is also in price wars with the feed store down the road so it helps both ways. I thing we are paying 8.5 per 50 lbs which is to high, but ya goatta have somthin. I'm considering going a few extra miles to get mixed feed from a dairy that cutsom mixes for a lot of the show boys around here.

Avalon":2epbcau2 said:
We also feed protocal. It seems to be consisitant and one of the lowest priced. The local feed store that carries protocal is also in price wars with the feed store down the road so it helps both ways. I thing we are paying 8.5 per 50 lbs which is to high, but ya goatta have somthin. I'm considering going a few extra miles to get mixed feed from a dairy that cutsom mixes for a lot of the show boys around here.

Wow, Avalon, $8.50 per bag for Protocal feed is very cheap. Ordinarily Dr. Horner is very proud of his products. ;-) But unless it has changed it's good feed.

TexasBred":2vwgcesw said:
Avalon":2vwgcesw said:

Wow, Avalon, $8.50 per bag for Protocal feed is very cheap. Ordinarily Dr. Horner is very proud of his products. ;-) But unless it has changed it's good feed.

I think thats what my "Aggie" son told me........ Keep in mind we are having a price war here in town. This guy is trying his darndest to run the other out of town. But if i'm wrong blame it on the Aggie.

Boy do I have a retraction to make. After recieving a PM asking just where this store is. I figured that I should make sure about the price of protocol. Called the boss lady she looked up the tickets. We got it one time for that 8.5. Last saturday we paid $10.75 per bag. What a screwup for not checking my facts. I guess I better check out the price at that dairy down the road.

I dont know what the conversion from Aus$ to US$ is, but here are my numbers:

14% pelleted feed $640/tonne
20% pelleted feed $680/tonne
horse grain mix $1250/tonne
straight grain (wheat, barley, oats) $500 - $600/tonne

The herd animals get the 14 and 20 % pelleted feeds.

My premium home mix for show animals is a TMR:

14% TMR $960/tonne
20% TMR $975/tonne

includes a pellet, chaff, molasses, vitamin and mineral premix, and a horse grain for nice hair coats.

The dern' stuff is going up everyday. Between corn prices and fuel prices(freight)...I don't see it getting any better any time soon. Oh well.....wouldn't trade this hobby for nothin'!!!! :cboy:

2barmcattle":2bgcgy9e said:
The dern' stuff is going up everyday. Between corn prices and fuel prices(freight)...I don't see it getting any better any time soon. Oh well.....wouldn't trade this hobby for nothin'!!!! :cboy:

You're as crazy as the rest of us. :banana:

I feed High Noon. We are paying $320 for a 1500 lb tote. But it is up A LOT from just afew months ago. I really like it and will continue to pay :roll:

Avalon":bap9twbg said:
2barmcattle":bap9twbg said:

You're as crazy as the rest of us. :banana:

:p :p Ain't it so. ;-)

Since I no longer have any cows, I haven't bought any feed in a while. I believe our local mill is seeling our mix for $250/ton, or $6.25/bag. Mineral is not included, so add in a few cents/bag. It works as well, or better than the branded feeds; you just have to know how to feed.

We have been feeding the Acco Show Heifer Developer since February. It has gone up $0.20 in that time frame to $11.50 a bag.

We feed Hi-Pro. Finisher is $9.10/50# and the grower is $9.30/50#. It's about the same as it was last year. We're in Texas.

Latest posts