Those lovely flowing locks of hair.......

Help Support CattleToday:

2TLivestock

Reaction score
I was just wondering what is the new thing to help hair growth? I have heard/seen some people that shave the calve shortly after purchasing them? Does anyone do this and if so what does it do? I'm helping the neighbors and wanted to get updated on all the new tricks of the trade! Thank you in advance!

I think breeding is important if you really want a lot of hair.. However, making do with what you got, lots of washing, brushing, clipping, etc.

I heard that it's the length of the day that controls when cattle put on their winter coat, so they probably keep them dark and cool as well.

Welcome to CT :)

These calves are bred to grow hair but I was just wondering what gives some of these calves that extra edge! I know all the basic's about light, rinsing instead of washing everytime, the dircetiong to comb hair? But I don't know much about additives, trick of the trade and such. So any tips and tricks would be great! Does anyone else shear their calves all but the hip, forearms and legs?

Additives: We used Grow and Shine the last 120 days before our final fair (July) It is a melatonin based product, easy to use and worked for us. There are melatonin implants that allot of people are using, they swear by them.

As far as shaving, we did not do it but those that do, usually clip them down after the winter season. Our Jackpots out here run from December through March, after the last show they clip the calf's body they do not clip the legs, ears, tail or belly.

Right now the calves are going to be growing hair naturally, no need to body clip at this time.

Been away, those areas are the hardest to get the hair to grow back on, so you leave it and just keep working the legs and the tail hair with a rice root brush or roto brush.

The purpose of rinsing is to chill the animal, so you need to rinse them with cold water the colder the better, for at least 15 minutes. I know some people who use a box freezer to get the water chilled down to close to freezing, rinse with hose water and then finish rinsing with the chilled water to get the animal chilled. All this while the animal is in a cool room all day, they even rinse in the cool room. Their cattle have hair like a yack but it is a lot off work, all this is done for the final show which is in July.

Latest posts