Cost of open cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Anyone know what the current cost of an open cow is? I was looking for it tonight - most of the available information dates back to 2008 and earlier - with the prices on the current market I feel 2008 is incredibly outdated. Thanks for any assistance-

milkmaid":1rdag14y said:
Anyone know what the current cost of an open cow is? I was looking for it tonight - most of the available information dates back to 2008 and earlier - with the prices on the current market I feel 2008 is incredibly outdated. Thanks for any assistance-
Depending on age and body condition seems they are bring from $.90 to $1.20 a lb. around here.

I wasn't sure if MM question was referring to dollars lost due to production loss, which has many factors to consider. Or if was the slaughter value of an open cow. Last week the "local" barn slaughter beef cows went for 1.00 to 1.15 cwt.

What values, factors, to consider in total dollars lost due to production loss could be an interesting discussion.

Alan":1bjeqle2 said:
I wasn't sure if MM question was referring to dollars lost due to production loss, which has many factors to consider. Or if was the slaughter value of an open cow. Last week the "local" barn slaughter beef cows went for 1.00 to 1.15 cwt.

What values, factors, to consider in total dollars lost due to production loss could be an interesting discussion.
1.05 to 1.18 here

Ah, guess that wasn't clear enough. I'm looking for the cost of lost production (open cow) in a beef cow. Dairy numbers are pretty easy to find and they usually are listed on a daily basis (cost per days open after X days). The beef stuff is outdated with the recent rise in beef prices.

MM has been my username for a long time, I do dabble on the dairy side but it's been primarily cow-calf and feedlot last few years.

Kinda what I thought you meant.... Kinda :? . This is a bit over my head, but my main questions is where does day one start for X amount of dollars lost? I would think the amount of dollars lost would be different if the open cow was still nursing a calf, the cows production would be greater until the calf weaned off. So is day one at current calf weaning? Or is day one the date determined open? At birth of current calf? What is the production value of open cow at different stages?

How's that for making the waters muddy? Sorry MM, I'm just curious on how the cost is determined. :tiphat:

There are a lot of variables here and I can't give you prices for your area.

I would calculate the cost of keeping the unproductive cow over the winter, or between calving seasons. Factor in the cost of feed, vaccinations, worming, mineral, medications, etc., then I would add the lost revenue from her would have been calf.

I total up all my total costs, the things I listed above, and divide by the total number of cattle I have. I don't track it by cow. It's not a perfect method but it gives me an idea of what each cow is costing me. I personally don't keep cows that don't breed back quickly. I'm small time and I can't really afford to give any free rides.

Alan":2wwcep4c said:

I think the change in beef prices means you have to revisit your culling criteria. I know i would like to have back some of the cows I culled last fall. I corralled two cows last week and they pregged open... I would have culled them both in the past.
One was 10 yrs old, and we will miss her, but she went to town. Cleared $1,689.
One was a smaller easy 4 yrs old who raised her calf plus an orphan last year. So she got a Cidr instead of a ride. We have surplus grass THIS year, but a long artic vortex winters. I expect it to cost me $295 out of pocket (no fixed costs included) to carry her. So if she settles there is an estimated $1430 kill price plus $295 out of pocket = $1725 heavy bred. I can buy cows for less than this but they are not "proven"... I think the econ optimizers would say to sell her and buy back a 1.5 light weight stockers, :nod: but I like this cow and it is hard to find good half a stocker.

Alan":21hy9zo2 said:

A good beef cow raises and weans a calf while maintaining a 12 month calving interval.
Her "job" is to be pregnant, calving or trying to get pregnant while feeding her calf.

revenue lost + cost of maintenance = total $ lost

Let's look at a 13 month calving interval vs 12 month
1 month is 8.34% of a year. so a 13 month calving interval would = 8.34% loss of revenue vs 12 month
IF your weaned calf average price is $1000
1000 x 8.34% = $83.40 lost revenue [1000 - 83 = $917]

feed is by far the biggest expense in cost of maintenance
cost of feed per cow per day x 30 extra days of carrying an open cow

What number do you want to plug in?
I'll use $1 per day to keep the math simple.
1 x 30 = $30

$30 + 83.40 = 113.40 divided by 30 days = $3.78 lost per day open after 12 month calving interval
i would round to $4 per day to keep it simple and to cover the time value of money plus all other misc expenses.

On plus side there would be an opportunity to increase revenue by $27.80 per cow by shortening her calving cycle by 10 days.
83.4 divided by 30 = 2.78 per day
10 days x 2.78 = 27.80
21 days x 2.78 = 58.38
My math says a cow that settles on 1st service vs 2nd service is $58.38 more profitable
and 1st service conception vs 3rd service would be $116.76

Son of Butch":3qyl4d88 said:
A good beef cow raises and weans a calf while maintaining a 12 month calving interval.
Her "job" is to be pregnant, calving or trying to get pregnant while feeding her calf.

revenue lost + cost of maintenance = total $ lost

Let's look at a 13 month calving interval vs 12 month
1 month is 8.34% of a year. so a 13 month calving interval would = 8.34% loss of revenue vs 12 month
IF your weaned calf average price is $1000
1000 x 8.34% = $83.40 lost revenue [1000 - 83 = $917]

feed is by far the biggest expense in cost of maintenance
cost of feed per cow per day x 30 extra days of carrying an open cow

What number do you want to plug in?
I'll use $1 per day to keep the math simple.
1 x 30 = $30

$30 + 83.40 = 113.40 divided by 30 days = $3.78 lost per day open after 12 month calving interval
i would round to $4 per day to keep it simple and to cover the time value of money plus all other misc expenses.

On plus side there would be an opportunity to increase revenue by $27.80 per cow by shortening her calving cycle by 10 days.
83.4 divided by 30 = 2.78 per day
10 days x 2.78 = 27.80
21 days x 2.78 = 58.38
My math says a cow that settles on 1st service vs 2nd service is $58.38 more profitable
and 1st service conception vs 3rd service would be $116.76

But Butch - - you did not adjust by using the calf conversion coefficient calculation. ;-)

Latest posts