Cost of National Shows

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Just got back from our national show. It was a lot of fun. It was only about 2 hours away from home. The hotel cost $471, Entry Fees $265 (3 head, banquet tickets, and provided meals) Food $100 (only two or 3 meals were not provided), Entertainment $100 and Gas $150. Total cost $1086.

This was our 1st nationals and my son is looking for to going to Michigan next summer. It is only an 18 hour drive :oops: .

How does this compare to how much you spend for your National shows?

Glad you had a good time! For anyone of any breed, GO to your National shows! I went to the Regionals for the first time this year, and was really impressed! A great program for our juniors!

Mom... that sounds about right to me. We went to West Monroe in June, and it ran about the same except the hotel rooms were cheaper. And of course, that was a five hour drive, so fuel was WAY higher!

Was there a good turnout?

The turn out was so-so. I think it ran around 200 kids. A friend at Brangus Nationals stated their numbers were about 1/2 as many as last year.

For us to go to the Royal shows, it costs $1000 per animal for entry fees and transport alone. Then add in the feed costs for the animals at the show, the feed that goes into them at home during preparation, not to mention feeding myself at the show ... I dont want to know the total costs.

Does your stte jr breeds associations help pay for some of the cost? I know the Pa Jr Simmental Ass has fundraisers to help pay for juniors to go to regionals and classics if they go. this year it doesn't look like anyone went.

This was the first in 12 years that we did not use our natioanl show as a vacation. My son went (working for another family), to be a voting delagate and recieve a scholarship. So his fun was paid for by our good friend (his boss). But heres what we figured it would have cost if we had taken a couple heifers.
The show always lasts a full week. Mon-Sat. and needs a full day to day and a half in travel. Ours are always a long haul.
Entry fees: $45x2= $90
Fuel: $600.00 from Central Texas to DesMoines
Food: $400.00
Hotels: $600.00 My wife always made us stay at the headquarters hotel for the festivities.
Extras: $300.00
Total: About $2000.00
It's well worth it for the fellowship & experience that it gives to the kids. But we didnt see any need to go for ourselves this year. These shows are a way for your kids to get to know the movers and shakers of your breed and industry.

When talking about your breed Junior National Shows, cost should never be a concern. Remember, you're not spending money on a Show; you're investing in the future of your children. Just make sure you GO!

AAOK":1ro0aroi said:

When talking about your breed Junior National Shows, cost should never be a concern. Remember, you're not spending money on a Show; you're investing in the future of your children. Just make sure you GO!

I understand what you are saying, but the fact remains; we don't go to our national show for the mere fact that we can't afford to go. Don't dare accuse anyone of slighting their children simply because we don't have an extra $2000 lying around somewhere.

farmwife":16sgbdic said:
AAOK":16sgbdic said:

I understand what you are saying, but the fact remains; we don't go to our national show for the mere fact that we can't afford to go. Don't dare accuse anyone of slighting their children simply because we don't have an extra $2000 lying around somewhere.

I agree farmwife

I just sent off $300 in entry fees for a royal show to enter 7 goats. Being a uni student, with only time for casual work, text books to buy not to mention I have to add transport, feed before and at the show, accomodation and food for myself to that ... I cant afford to take my own animals to too many of the royals.

I think it is just a pity that the local shows do not have the facilities and competition of the royals, because they are the ones I can afford to do - I will be doing 9 local shows this spring circuit.

Latest posts