Simmi National Classic

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We have completed our 11th National Classic this week. I am happy to be back home and having my grass cut (second cutting) for hay!

Our National Classic was long, but good. This was my last year serving as the Missouri Junior Advisor, after 6 years in the position. I needed to step down to spend more time with my family on my summers off. It was bitter sweet. My kids had a great week, rekindled friendships and made new ones. Our cattle did well in their classes, and our daughter placed in the genetic evaluation quiz (there were almost 400 junior exhibitors competing). Here are a few pictures of the week:
We had a new junior member competing this year. She wanted to try team fitting (a team of three that has to fit a heifer in 30 minutes and work as a team), so my daughter put together a team so she could compete. So, the team consisted of my daugher, my son, and Faith (new junior).

Though they did not place, they had fun trying!

My son in sales talk. In this contest, juniors must sell their heifer to the judge, and placing is based on how good of a salesmen they are!

Our daughter in Sales talk:

Our kids, with the help of a friend, fitting a heifer for show day:

Our Declaration heifer in her class. She placed 5th out of 12 in her class. Just commented she needed to have her neck come out higher on her shoulder, but was broody and had good angles to her feet and legs.

My daughter on some down time:

This little heifer was in raging heat on show day (16 days post her last heat!). She was bawling, and trying to ride everything! She absolutly would not stop walking in the show ring, and every time my daughter tried to get her stopped and set up, she would push forward and try to jump the heifer in front of her. She ended up 5th also, out of 11. The only thing the judge said was she had a high tail set... hard to get a good look at her when she was constantly moving!

Our third heifer, a Robins Kiss, was 4th in her class. The judge said she was too fat! She is due in about 45 days to calve...

The dogs came with us...

My girls were happy to see me return. These are the group on our other farm, all fall calvers. I am super excited to get the next crop of calves!

We had a blessed week, but I am happy to be back home and working on the home place. Thanks for reading!

Your crew did great. It is a great experience. I hope your crew stays in the game even though you have stepped down from your leadership role as advisor.

the absolute best thing you posted - - - - was the kids fitting their animal for the show ring.
It burns me to see all the fathers or professional fitters all around the animal, with the junior scratching the bellie!!!
Congratulations. They did awesome. The competition is fierce. To "place" in any of the competitions is memorable.
Good job to the kids and to MOM.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
the absolute best thing you posted - - - - was the kids fitting their animal for the show ring.
It burns me to see all the fathers or professional fitters all around the animal, with the junior scratching the bellie!!!
Congratulations. They did awesome. The competition is fierce. To "place" in any of the competitions is memorable.

Jeanne:

I have met some of the professional fitters. Some of those guys are interesting. I think even Kris has a fitter check her cattle over after the kids are finished.

Bright Raven said:

Jeanne:

I have met some of the professional fitters. Some of those guys are interesting. I think even Kris has a fitter check her cattle over after the kids are finished.

The fitter you saw advised my kids what they could do to improve. That is how they learn.

Jeanne - I agree with you! While we were at Mississippi nationals two years ago, I was very disgusted. Sullivans puts on the fitting contest, and the prizes are amazing to be in the top 3. A professional fitter, who demonstrates fitting for Sullivans and his kids show simmental cattle, brought over a heifer to the stalls next to us. He completely fitted the heifer, clipped her out, then sent her to the wash rack to be broke down and washed. One hour later, his kids brought that same heifer in the ring for the fitting contest. All they had to do was basically glue her up, since she was already carved out. Of course, they won the fitting contest. Some people do not care at what cost to win, but I raised my kids differently. It is not the win, but the total package of the event. Yes, the prize looks amazing, but my kids made some great memories inviting a new member and teaching her how to fit under pressure!

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
Bright Raven said:

Jeanne:

The fitter you saw advised my kids what they could do to improve. That is how they learn.

Jeanne - I agree with you! While we were at Mississippi nationals two years ago, I was very disgusted. Sullivans puts on the fitting contest, and the prizes are amazing to be in the top 3. A professional fitter, who demonstrates fitting for Sullivans and his kids show simmental cattle, brought over a heifer to the stalls next to us. He completely fitted the heifer, clipped her out, then sent her to the wash rack to be broke down and washed. One hour later, his kids brought that same heifer in the ring for the fitting contest. All they had to do was basically glue her up, since she was already carved out. Of course, they won the fitting contest. Some people do not care at what cost to win, but I raised my kids differently. It is not the win, but the total package of the event. Yes, the prize looks amazing, but my kids made some great memories inviting a new member and teaching her how to fit under pressure!

I don't want this to sound patronizing but I have to say you create a great atmosphere for nurturing your children in the game of life. You don't buy $20,000 cattle so your kids can win. Some do. Not all. It is difficult to win with all the advantages some competitors bring to the show. I have observed your crew for 5 years at many shows. They go out there against stacked decks and compete. I have to say, I sometimes feel sorry that they don't get rewarded better. I know they get their feelings hurt. I have seen both your children cry. After all is done, they take it very well.

Hard knocks of showing & growing up. Best parents let their kids experience it.
I probably know a lot of the fitters, LOL. Most are super nice guys - making a living.

I know a couple who are as poor as Church Mice. They do it because they have a tremendous passion for it.

Then there are those like Chan Phillips. Chan is an artist elite.

Latest posts