Our national Trip...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We trecked to Texas for our National cattle show last week. It was hot and humid, but much fun was had by all! We had a fantastic show, with the kids placing in most of the contests. With over 200 junior members competing, and over 250 head of cattle, the competition was high.
My middle daughter, Rachel, ended up being 14th highest junior in the overall category. Her heifer was 17th overall best Bred and Owned percentage heifer, she placed 10th in the cattlemen's quiz, 20th in sales talk, 11th in livestock judging, and 10th in public speaking.
Our oldest daughter, Rebekah (who is a trustee for the AJSA), did really well also. Her heifer placed 7th overall in the Bred and Owned Purebred heifer show, she placed 19th in cattlemen's quiz, 12th in sales talk, and 15th in livestock judging.
I am putting up a few pics I took throughout the week. We were certainly blessed!
Kids blowing out the cattle
2ef2lw4.jpg

Cattle eating in the stalls. The two on the left are September purebreds, with the one in the middle placing 7th high purebred. The one on the right is the percentage that placed 17th overall
mttou9.jpg

Our kids working together to fit one of the heifers
2dhfsc4.jpg

Rachel after she won her 17th best heifer award...
ehfbtf.jpg

Giving her heifer some love before the class
4ut92q.jpg

And her with her award at the backdrop (we ordered a professional pic)
6irz9h.jpg

Rebekah, our oldest, serving as a trustee. They had to wear those hot blazers and a long sleeved shirt underneath while they were working the arena, but they have fun doing it! The other gal she is pictured with is another trustee, from Mississippi, Jessica Smith.
3179v0i.jpg

Rebekah with her winning heifer (and brother!), super proud of that. That heifer is 4 generations deep of females in our herd.
2z4d7yg.jpg

Going to tie outs at night, that is our son and my husband leading the heifers out....
wgvkfd.jpg

And lastly, all of my kids (I am the junior advisor for Missouri) posing for a picture at the opening ceremonies.
260eph3.jpg

Very nice. So good to see children who actually know what it takes to participate in meaningful competition, rather than those wasting their time in 4h.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like everybody had a great time. Those are some memories everyone will cherish the rest of their life.

Always great to see your kids and cattle showing - you folks do it the way it's s'posed to be, and I do admire that.

Latest posts