Cost of boarding a calf & temperment of Jersys?

Help Support CattleToday:

My bag of mlk replacer that I bought this summer when I thought I had a calf that mom wasn't taking care of was a 25lb of Land-O-Lajes Maxi Care.It ran me $23 24. RIght at the 1/lb.
Luckly, I did not have to us it.
We raised a couple of bucket calves about 10 years ago. If my memory served me correctly, it took a 50lb bag of replacer to get a calf on feed.
I ain't looking at the kids making a profit, I want to make the profit from the adventure and get some free labor. Figured at $40/month the kids wouldn't profit. Didn't want to loss money myself.
My grandson found the calves at the fair. I believe I paid $25 per calf 10 years ago.
Son wants to raise it for his table. I think the grsndson wants a pet. Grandson should know better. The closest we have to pets are the grandkids show stock. If he wants a pet, I have a nice looking longhorn bull calf he could have and make a riding steer out of.
Amen to MrGale "nasty and proud of it" The Jersy I had got out right mean. He tried to get the last lick in. Nailed me while loading. I enjoyed ever piece meat out of him.

One key to me is their intent? Are they wanting to do this to try to make some money? For the grandson to have a bucket calf as a 4-H project? Or to eat?

Intent would be the deciding factor for how much I would help.

If they are doing it at hope of making money I think I would not be helping much. 4-H or to eat maybe I would do all I could for them.

rkm":ccbshtit said:
If my son and grandson [any of them], wanted me to help them with anything, and I could do it, I would. No questions asked. I would certainly not ask for a written contract with my grandson.

I disagree. While I may not ask for a written contract, there would be a contract and the child would understand that this is his/her endeavor, his/her responsibility, and should he/she not live up to the responsibility - the calf would be sold. I don't see how providing a false image of life is doing the child any favors. I've had bottle calves for most of my life, but it was understood that I would be feeding them and the cost of anything that Mom or Dad bought for that calf would be deducted from their sale price. The contract was not 'written', but it was still there and fully understood by both parties. The flip side of it was that Dad was more than willing to provide help and guidance as to how to raise them, and why it was better to do 'this' than 'that'. I learned a great deal from my bottle calves, because of that.

Latest posts