Cost for setting out hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I had a guy ask me if I could set out about 30-40 rolls of hay. It will take me 3-5 hours to get the job done and I will have to drive about 20 min down the road. It won't be that big of a deal because I already have to drive down that way to pick up some other hay I'm buying for my own cows. How much would you all charge? It is mostly smooth land with a few steep hills. I have never done anything like this before and don't want to screw the guy over, but also want to make it worth my time. Should I charge by the hour, by the roll, or a set amount for just getting the job done? Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help me out.

I would do the same but that does put the recipient in kind of a tough spot. Case in point - I was having some combine problems this fall and a neighbor volunteered to help out. He ended up combining about 10-12 acres and after I was running again he let me use his wagons until I was finished. I went to settle up with him and he wouldn't take anything. I really don't want him to think I took advantage of him so I sent him a Christmas card with a $200 gift card and another $50 gift certificate at a local restaurant. Now I am left wondering if that was enough or if I insulted him by giving him the cards in the first place.

Maybe tell him $25 for fuel and if he is inclined he will write the check out for whatever he thinks it is worth.

ChrisB":3073rybj said:
I would do the same but that does put the recipient in kind of a tough spot. Case in point - I was having some combine problems this fall and a neighbor volunteered to help out. He ended up combining about 10-12 acres and after I was running again he let me use his wagons until I was finished. I went to settle up with him and he wouldn't take anything. I really don't want him to think I took advantage of him so I sent him a Christmas card with a $200 gift card and another $50 gift certificate at a local restaurant. Now I am left wondering if that was enough or if I insulted him by giving him the cards in the first place.

Maybe tell him $25 for fuel and if he is inclined he will write the check out for whatever he thinks it is worth.

If you had sent that to me I would have been thankful.

I always wonder why people over think things

Bez

I disagree with just doing things at no cost like that. If he hired you to do a job charge a fair amount and he helps you pay a fair amount. Later down the road if yall develope a friendly relationship and want to work some deals then go for it.

20 loaded miles @ $2 /mi is $40
3-5hrs @ $12 is $36-60

$75-100 would be more than fair. If you are doing charity work then thats a different deal.

I am a little uncertain about what the guy asked for. Are you spotting 30 odd rolls or just moving a group of bales to another area. Doesn't really matter as much as do you know the guy and could they be a plus for you down the road because you helped him now. One time, I lean toward what some of the others said, let it be a gift. If this could be regular then determine a fair price. I had a across the road neighbor that gave me $2 a bale to spot/feed his cows. Didn't want his money, but if I didn't take it he wouldn't ask me again and would open the gate to the hay lot and let his cows in. Then when they got hungry they would be in road etc so it was to my advantage to do what I did. Some people don't understand it but as my daddy use to say, the guy was kind of curious. He would give you the shirt off his back, but if he wanted something done he wanted it then. In his own way was one of the best neighbors, but you have to go with the flow. If this guy has pasture that you may want to rent someday or has something you may need, think about that too. Good luck.

j&lfarms":1wtb4t63 said:
Tried the free thing last summer but he said he would just hire someone else if I wasn't going to take money so I'll just work something out with him lol

We do a lot of things around here for a case of beer. All parties enjoy during and at the end. Win win.

j&lfarms":1xrq016a said:
Tried the free thing last summer but he said he would just hire someone else if I wasn't going to take money so I'll just work something out with him lol

In that case then use the formula Brute laid out minus the drive time since you are going that way in the first place.

j&lfarms":12ytpqz8 said:
Figure out your cost for fuel and charge that.

j&lfarms":p8wxugtx said:
Considering I'm only 18, I think I'll pass on the alcohol

Charge a fair price. Most these people want to help a young man like yourself by offering work. Its almost disrespectful to not take what they offer. If he wants to buy you lunch or his wife offers you tea... you take it... and say thank you. ;-)

Also, write out a detailed invoice. Break out you time, millage, ect. Be very transparrent on how you came to the amount you are charging.

These little odd and end jobs can lead to big opportunities later on. I started mowing a guys lawn for $6 an hour when I was 15yrs old. That has turned in to a great partnership that has been very profitable for both of us. Another place I checked cattle at for $10 a hour. I purchased my house and now lease the place for cattle and hunting from the family. No one expects things for free... just be honest and fair.

Brute 23":46pqr67n said:
j&lfarms":46pqr67n said:

Charge a fair price. Most these people want to help a young man like yourself by offering work. Its almost disrespectful to not take what they offer. If he wants to buy you lunch or his wife offers you tea... you take it... and say thank you. ;-)

Also, write out a detailed invoice. Break out you time, millage, ect. Be very transparrent on how you came to the amount you are charging.

These little odd and end jobs can lead to big opportunities later on. I started mowing a guys lawn for $6 an hour when I was 15yrs old. That has turned in to a great partnership that has been very profitable for both of us. Another place I checked cattle at for $10 a hour. I purchased my house and now lease the place for cattle and hunting from the family. No one expects things for free... just be honest and fair.

:nod: :nod: :nod: Excellent advice!!!

Katherine

Brute 23":v6haxsqx said:
j&lfarms":v6haxsqx said:

Brute you got a head like a rat turd sharp on both ends.
Heck I can't put out my own hay at the house for less than a five dollar bill takes that much to crank up the tractor and put it out.
I wouldn't expect anyone to move hay for free either.

I agree, take the money and do him a favor. It is in his best interest.

I called a young dairyman 10 miles from here and he said he'd AI my couple of cows for $20 bucks a trip for one cow. While that sounded great for me, I figured he would eventually lose interest for that $, like when he was in the middle of haying or milking or whatever. So I pay him $50 and will probably bump that up to keep him coming. He's still cheaper than the guy who advertises his services.

Not to mention many of us have experienced the freeloaders who take advantage of others - your neighbor probably doesn't want to be counted among them.

Latest posts