corral panels/catch pen

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
On my little 28 acre piece of land where I'm going to have no more than 10 head for this summer I'm trying to figure how many 10 or 12 ft. corral panels I'll need to make a temp. catch pen/sorting area and short alley way to run them through the squeeze chute. Anyone have a setup like this? I've only got 8 panels right now and I know I'll need more than that.

If the cows will readily come to the feed trough you could get by with another 6 panels.
That won't allow you a sorting area though. I've found that unweaned calves are the hardest to catch cause they don't come up to eat very well. In that case you need alot bigger setup our someone lurking behind a tree to push them in the pen.

With 2 10 foot bow gates and a 4 foot standalone gate you can make a pen and sorting set up with what you have. You will also need something the catch and hold them when they get past the 4 foot gate

dun":2ybaxlzy said:
With 2 10 foot bow gates and a 4 foot standalone gate you can make a pen and sorting set up with what you have. You will also need something the catch and hold them when they get past the 4 foot gate

That sounds good but I must admit I can't picture what those things you mentioned look like. Any pics? I know I'm a bunch of trouble but at least I give y'all something to respond to.

Thanks!

I'll do my best to describe what I do. Picture a rectangle 30 ft. long & 10 ft. wide. If you draw this on paper like it was a map with north at the top, on each long side of the rectangle across from each other I have two 10 ft. bow gates. on the east end of each gate I have two 10 ft. panels. Then one 10 ft. panel each on the east and west end to tie it together to make the rectangle. On the north side of the north bow gate I have two 10 ft. panels that are 10 ft. wide at the gate and taper them to a 26 inch wide bow with a veritcal tail gate attached. Two 10 ft. panels attached to the 26 inch bow and two 8 ft. panels attached to the chute. When the cattle are close to the corral I chain the one gate open and dump some alfalfa cubes in the corral and let them get used to coming in the corral with nothing going on except they get a treat. Before long I can lead them in with just an empty bucket. Hope this helps.
Pete

Latest posts