Pen Rider

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I feel like a pen rider. Well minus the horse. And minus the pen too. There is 183 calves weaned 1 to 3 weeks out in the pasture down from the house. With the pneumonia weather we have been having I go through them 2 times a day looking for sick ones. They are on about 20 acres of green irrigated hay field regrowth. There is also about 15 acres of dry crested wheat grass above the ditch. This morning there was probably 40 calves up in that dry grass. There is something about driving through 2 foot tall bone dry grass this time of the year that sounds like a disaster. I told B that I wasn't driving up in there. He asked where my sense of adventure was? I told him if I were going to do that he would need to get Sweety (the fire truck) warmed up. My assistant is trying hard to hold it together. That many calves surely some of them need to be chased.

P9063029.JPGP9063026 (1).JPG

big fan of the assistant. looks ready to rock and roll on a moments notice
Oh, she will rock and roll. A little more handle while doing that would come in handy. But that will come with time. She is only a little over 18 months old. The problem right now is keeping her from just doing it on her own when she thinks things need to happen.

Oh, she will rock and roll. A little more handle while doing that would come in handy. But that will come with time. She is only a little over 18 months old. The problem right now is keeping her from just doing it on her own when she thinks things need to happen.
A good dog has a bit of initiative Dave.

Ken

Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. How do you go about treating them, dart gun or are you roping them to treat?
It depends. By myself I use the dart gun unless I can get them into the corral. Then I just sort them and run them through the chute. If B is around the two of us put them in the corral. Or maybe he will send the cowboys up to rope them. I a couple weeks they go across the river. Out there it is dart gun or rope.
No real sick ones so far. Just 4 or 5 eyes. B and I ran them into the chute. He is now on vacation until Monday so I am on my own. Eyes will wait. Lunger will get treated most likely with a dart.

I have roped them in the past but at 71 years old those days are done. I leave that to the young guys. That is how the majority get done if not through the chute.
Always interesting to you how other areas work there cattle. Around here you never hear of hardly anyone doing any darting

Latest posts