Cornbread's milk replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
my bottlecalf, "Cornbread," is 6 wks+ old and has been getting FRM milk replacer. I got a new bag of Nutrena Dairyway today and i was wondering if it is better or worse and what milk replacer everyone uses or thinks is the best. i plan on mixing whats left of the FRM with the new Nutrena until it runs out before i switch over completely. i may wean her if i have to feed another one but this way i'll have milk on hand that i hopefully wont need.

I've heard horror stories about Nutrena, but never used it myself. I dont remember the name of it, but its not what you mentioned. I always used Purina 22/20 and its great, I never had a stunted or pot bellied calf, they looked like they had been raised on a cow, but it could have been the breed too. Holstein x Brammer and Angus are great bottle calves. They're hardy and get to eating quick and stayed real healthy.

Cow_Town":wbfz5t0d said:
I've heard horror stories about Nutrena, but never used it myself. I dont remember the name of it, but its not what you mentioned. I always used Purina 22/20 and its great, I never had a stunted or pot bellied calf, they looked like they had been raised on a cow, but it could have been the breed too. Holstein x Brammer and Angus are great bottle calves. They're hardy and get to eating quick and stayed real healthy.

Never tried Nutrena...but I do like the Purina 22/20...

Alice

I used the Nutrena Dairyway last year and wasn't happy with it. The calves were pot bellied.

I'm using MFA 22/20 this year and am very pleased with it and the calf is doing well....... and no pot belly. It's $26.50 for a 25 lb bag here.

I use Purina and wean as soon as I'm out of one bag... stuff's expensive :p Costs me $6.25+ per hd per week, and I can feed the calf an awful lot of grain for that price.

MoGal":tsxe5m6o said:
I used the Nutrena Dairyway last year and wasn't happy with it. The calves were pot bellied.

I'm using MFA 22/20 this year and am very pleased with it and the calf is doing well....... and no pot belly. It's $26.50 for a 25 lb bag here.

When did you last buy it? 2 weeks ago the price at the local MFA was jacked up to $63.00 for 50 lbs.

dun

dun":3845pj29 said:
MoGal":3845pj29 said:

When did you last buy it? 2 weeks ago the price at the local MFA was jacked up to $63.00 for 50 lbs.

dun

Its ridiculus what MFA charges for their milk replacer, I can remember when it was $55 a bag and I thought that was too much, thats when I started feeding cows milk to the calves, and never have gone back to milk replacer since then-rip off!!

GMn

Dun I bought 2 bags (25 lbs each) for $26.50 (each bag) last month.

Today, I bought one bag and it was $37.85 for a 25 lb bag and this little shyster is on his 4th and LAST bag. He'll be 7 weeks old tomorrow and just refuses to eat grain. He also refuses to drink out of the bucket by himself although he can.

He wants a finger or the nipple to drink..... he'll eat grass or hay and I talked to the hubby today and when this bag is finished ( I gave him 12 pints a day and he does look nice .. for a black angus calf) we're gonna put him in with the heifers and their calves and hopefully he'll do better on grain.

MoGal":3akbdkd1 said:
Dun I bought 2 bags (25 lbs each) for $26.50 (each bag) last month.

Today, I bought one bag and it was $37.85 for a 25 lb bag and this little shyster is on his 4th and LAST bag. He'll be 7 weeks old tomorrow and just refuses to eat grain. He also refuses to drink out of the bucket by himself although he can.

He wants a finger or the nipple to drink..... he'll eat grass or hay and I talked to the hubby today and when this bag is finished ( I gave him 12 pints a day and he does look nice .. for a black angus calf) we're gonna put him in with the heifers and their calves and hopefully he'll do better on grain.

Cut back on his milk to one bottle a day (you're giving way too much for a calf you're trying to wean), and I'll bet you he'll start eating grain just fine for you. :p :nod:

You have to get him eating some grain before you can wean him, FWIW.

Thanks MM. I know I sound heartless in my post above and that's really not me...... ha ha nothing goes hungry around here.

I wouldn't just turn him out w/o him eating at least some grain and I'll cut him back on his milk. I just think he'd do better with being around other calves as he's the only one here at the house.

He's acts like a spoiled kid... stomps his feet and pouts if he doesn't get as much milk as he thinks he should get.

Well Cornbread's DairyWay is all gone and ive got to get another bag tomorrow for TaterSalad. She and Cornbread have been sharing. i cant tell that one bag was any better or worse than the other kind.

I see over on Ranchers.net that Calf Manna Uni Milk is on the recall list so don't get any of that.

Difficult enough to raise a calf w/o killing it much less kill it with a recalled milk replacer.

Latest posts