Corn Glutten as Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with feeding Corn Glutten by itself as a Supplement. Was thinking recently I read someone mention something negative about it?

Would there be any harm in 2 lbs a day a head to Preg Cows or 4 lbs say three days a week? As a supplement for poor hay or grazing of stock piled fescue

aplusmnt":3i0r12ir said:
Is there anything wrong with feeding Corn Glutten by itself as a Supplement. Was thinking recently I read someone mention something negative about it?

Would there be any harm in 2 lbs a day a head to Preg Cows or 4 lbs say three days a week? As a supplement for poor hay or grazing of stock piled fescue

I know some fellers round here that have fed it straight to their stock for years, with no problems. We've been feeding a little extra of it this year, mixed with our 12% Feed. Seem to be fine with it being mixed at 50lbs to 150 lbs of our regular ration.

The only problem we had was you couldn;t safely get within 10 feet of the back of the cow.
It is low in something that limestone takes care of. Don;t recall what it is though

dun

Aplusmnt, have you found any of the by product around here. I was talking with Harv up at Ft.Scott and he has been using it to stretch his hay out. But I didn't ask where he was getting it.

r and s peckman":1rz58th9 said:
Aplusmnt, have you found any of the by product around here. I was talking with Harv up at Ft.Scott and he has been using it to stretch his hay out. But I didn't ask where he was getting it.

Baxter Springs, KS Coop has Corn Gluten for $6.60 a hundred bulk.

aplusmnt":3aye3ncb said:
r and s peckman":3aye3ncb said:

One consideration with CG is whether it is meal or pellet. The pellet is handier and doesn;t brige in a feed hopper but the rotein is also lower.

dun

dun":j86rxog1 said:
aplusmnt":j86rxog1 said:
r and s peckman":j86rxog1 said:

One consideration with CG is whether it is meal or pellet. The pellet is handier and doesn;t brige in a feed hopper but the rotein is also lower.

dun

I believe they cary the pellet.

dun":2p7kg64u said:
aplusmnt":2p7kg64u said:
r and s peckman":2p7kg64u said:

dun

I feed corn gluten (pelletized), it is 16% protein, I feed it straight,have done so for years and the cows have never had a problem with it,and seem to love it.

I heard yesterday that our local mill is having trouble gettin the gluten pellets and distillers grain.

tom4018":ueb7vuni said:
I heard yesterday that our local mill is having trouble gettin the gluten pellets and distillers grain.
I've been told there may be shortages of Distiller's Grain, due to end producers using it to generate electricity, and heat.

Crowderfarms":59ag1m2j said:
tom4018":59ag1m2j said:
I've been told there may be shortages of Distiller's Grain, due to end producers using it to generate electricity, and heat.

Hopkinsville plant has already sold all theirs under contract before it is produced. Loading it out as quick as they make it.

Crowderfarms":18yizadq said:
tom4018":18yizadq said:

Won't be long we will not be able to get Corn or DG. Due to making gas and electricity. What will we feed these cows then? :lol:

Minnesota is overrun with ethanol plants but we can't get distillers grain its going overseas or something?

How can you folks get your cattle to eat straight gluten? I can't even get my starving chickens to eat it. :shock:

I do have some gluten pellets mixed with cracked corn, 1 ton to 4 tons corn. I think there are better sources of protein however.

mnmtranching":1tupojxk said:
Minnesota is overrun with ethanol plants but we can't get distillers grain its going overseas or something?

How can you folks get your cattle to eat straight gluten? I can't even get my starving chickens to eat it. :shock:

I do have some gluten pellets mixed with cracked corn, 1 ton to 4 tons corn. I think there are better sources of protein however.

There can sometimes be palability issue with gluten. We had one cow that never touched it when fed straight and if it was much more then a third of a mixture she wouldn;t touch it. The others after a while develop a taste for it. Supposedly it's also a good pre-emergent herbicide

dun

Latest posts