What to feed Weaned calves, corn or barely

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying grain to background my calves. I can buy whole shelled corn for 15 1/2 cents a pound, or Barely for 14 cents a pound. The barely is rejects from the breweries; I guess it has high protein. I am not sure what to go with, or maybe I could mix it half and half. Cost wise there is not really much difference.

Edit, I also will be feeding first cutting alfalfa, with some grass in it.

Last edited:
More info: the barley tested at 12% protein and 10.5 moisture.
The corn test at 9.2% moisture, and they don't test the protein.
They also have oats, but I don't know what the protein or moisture is on it.

The good thing is I don't have to haul it very far. The Big Horn CO-OP elevator in Riverton is right next door.

I usually try to find a corn and oats mix. Start them on 60% oats : 40% corn by weight, which will have quite a bit more oats by volume. Easiest is to get a bulk tote of each and start with twice as much oats as corn by volume. Haven't fed barley by itself for many years -- it is usually in a 3-way COB (corn-oats-barley with molasses), which works good too, but more expensive. Start at 2# per head and move to 3-4# per head. Don't want them too fleshy or you take a hit at the sale barn. I'm not sure it even pays especially if you are feeding alfalfa which will frame them up and keep them green in condition.

Latest posts