Corid treat em all or treat the one?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
Silver said:
I would be reluctant to feed chicken feed without further research. In fact in Canada it may be illegal. I'll do some checking on that though in case I'm wrong.

The "feed" is only a carrier. It is a grain by-product consisting of roughage, calcium carbonate, vegetable and animal fat. Amprolium is the active ingredient. By blocking thiamine uptake; it prevents carbohydrate synthesis in the species of coccidia that cause disease. There are tables I use to make sure I am mixing the right volume in the feed to control coccidia.

I get it at Hinton Mills in Mayslick, Kentucky. The feed store manager will assist anyone who has trouble doing the math. The use of it is so prevalent that Hinton Mills (there are about 6 outlets in this region) doesn't stock corid crumbles. They do stock corid in an aqueous solution.

I fully understand the skepticism. It may be illegal in Canada. I trust that my store manager would not be promoting its use here if it were illegal. As far as it being off label, that would be accurate because the label on the bag does not promote its use for cattle.

It's the animal fat part of the content that would concern me greatly.

Silver said:
Bright Raven said:
Silver said:
I would be reluctant to feed chicken feed without further research. In fact in Canada it may be illegal. I'll do some checking on that though in case I'm wrong.

The "feed" is only a carrier. It is a grain by-product consisting of roughage, calcium carbonate, vegetable and animal fat. Amprolium is the active ingredient. By blocking thiamine uptake; it prevents carbohydrate synthesis in the species of coccidia that cause disease. There are tables I use to make sure I am mixing the right volume in the feed to control coccidia.

I get it at Hinton Mills in Mayslick, Kentucky. The feed store manager will assist anyone who has trouble doing the math. The use of it is so prevalent that Hinton Mills (there are about 6 outlets in this region) doesn't stock corid crumbles. They do stock corid in an aqueous solution.

I fully understand the skepticism. It may be illegal in Canada. I trust that my store manager would not be promoting its use here if it were illegal. As far as it being off label, that would be accurate because the label on the bag does not promote its use for cattle.

It's the animal fat part of the content that would concern me greatly.

Understood

kenny thomas said:
Using it in feed is like using monensin. It changes bacteria populations in the rumen. The bacteria that benefit breakdown feed into more efficient components for the cow/calf.
Just a thought from someone that knows. Not me of course.
Corid/monensin don't impact the rumen in similar ways or cocci
Corid doesn't impact the rumen like min. But it does kill cocci, unlike mon. Monensin prevents the reproduction of cocci, & changes the rumen increasing feed efficiency. So it takes 28 days to work (that's the life cycle of cocci)

We run corid through newly weaned cattle then Monensin.

Corid kills it. Monensin prevents it from coming back (and increases feed efficiency)

Latest posts