Corid treat em all or treat the one?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Got a weaned calf passing bloody poop. Treat em all, or treat the one. I bought two gallons while I was in town, but it just seems so much easier to treat the one. 40 someodd Head of weaned claves 650 pounds.

Treat them all. Coccidia is almost universal over here. Btw. My feed store has come up with a great way to save money if your calves are getting feed on a regular basis. Instead of using Corid crumbles use a generic chicken feed variety of amprolium crumbles. The Corid crumbles are 1.25 percent amprolium whereas the chicken feed version is 2.25 percent amprolium. So you get almost twice the concentration of amprolium. I feed my calves in a homemade trough. I put the feed out and then use a container calculated to get the correct dose of amprolium per 100 pounds of body weight. I sprinkle the fine crumbles on top of the feed. The chicken product comes in a pain paper sealed 50 pound bag.

If you don't feed, you can put liquid corid in their water. Or you can drench. I recently switched from drenching to using the chicken feed amprolium.

I want to add this. There was a recent thread on coccidia. Another user said that blood in feces is a primary symptom of a coccidia infection. That is not the case here. I rarely see blood but I have ran fecal samples on diarrhea and it has come back as coccidia. So I did some reading. I found the following in the Merck Veterinarian manual:

The most typical syndrome of coccidiosis is chronic or subclinical disease in groups of growing animals. Calves may appear unthrifty and have fecal-stained perineal areas. In light infections, cattle appear healthy and oocysts are present in normally formed feces, but feed efficiency is reduced. The most characteristic sign of clinical coccidiosis is watery feces, with little or no blood, and animals show only slight discomfort for a few days. Severe infections are rare. Severely affected cattle develop thin, bloody diarrhea that may continue for >1 wk, or thin feces with streaks or clots of blood, shreds of epithelium, and mucus. They may develop a fever; become anorectic, depressed, and dehydrated; and lose weight.

Bright Raven said:
Treat them all. Coccidia is almost universal over here. Btw. My feed store has come up with a great way to save money if your calves are getting feed on a regular basis. Instead of using Corid crumbles use a generic chicken feed variety of amprolium crumbles. The Corid crumbles are 1.25 percent amprolium whereas the chicken feed version is 2.25 percent amprolium. So you get almost twice the concentration of amprolium. I feed my calves in a homemade trough. I put the feed out and then use a container calculated to get the correct dose of amprolium per 100 pounds of body weight. I sprinkle the fine crumbles on top of the feed. The chicken product comes in a pain paper sealed 50 pound bag.

If you don't feed, you can put liquid corid in their water. Or you can drench. I recently switched from drenching to using the chicken feed amprolium.

Here is where the forum is a great resource. I've dealt with Coccidiosis most of my life, didn't necessarily think "I knew it all", but planned on moving forward like I always do. Should have posed the question or hit the search tab before I jumped. Gonna be a big ole pain in the tail to treat like I always do, but that's what I'm set up for now, because I pulled the trigger, before I asked questions. We're never too old to learn.

Bright Raven said:

How many days hand running do you feed the chicken feed?

I produce seedstock. I do a lot that a terminal producer doesn't need to do because I work hard that every calf I produce has an opportunity to reach its genetic potential. I put a lot of effort into breeding and I spent a lot to procure a good base herd of cows. Coccidia really holds them back.

Even in a commercial herd, keeping a check on coccidia is worth the effort.

Bigfoot said:
Bright Raven said:

How many days hand running do you feed the chicken feed?

My calves get coccidia when I start feeding hay. So at about 2 months of age. I treat for coccidia from about 2 months of age to three months of age. By then, they also develop enough immunity that coccidia is not going to hold them back.

Give them an oral treatment in some form or another of corid, and then see if your feed mill can add in Deccox. Best coccidia preventive feed additive out there.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Never heard of the chicken feed. Good info

It is very plain. It comes in 50 pound bags made of paper. The grain size is small like rough ground corn meal. This is the label that is pasted on the side of the bag. Because of the higher concentration of amprolium and the generic brand, it is cheaper than corid crumbles. It has the same active ingredient, probably made at the same plant - amprolium. Just a higher concentration.

You cannot use the dose recommended for chickens. You have to calculate the pounds of the 2.5 % Amprolium chicken feed to get the right dose per 100 pounds of calf weight. You can find that on the web.

Bright Raven said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Never heard of the chicken feed. Good info

It is very plain. It comes in 50 pound bags made of paper. The grain size is small like rough ground corn meal. This is the label that is pasted on the side of the bag. Because of the higher concentration of amprolium and the generic brand, it is cheaper than corid crumbles. It has the same active ingredient, probably made at the same plant - amprolium. Just a higher concentration.

You cannot use the dose recommended for chickens. You have to calculate the pounds of the 2.5 % Amprolium chicken feed to get the right dose per 100 pounds of calf weight. You can find that on the web.
So your saying to use a medication off label. Seems that's what has already caused many meds to be regulated.

we have had issues with coccidiosis usually after weaning. so we use the 21 day preventative with corid or cocci-cure in their water. we have had younger calves affected, seems like due to other stresses or illness, and use the 5 day drench treatment.

sometime we see blood, but almost all the time the stool has mucus.

ccr said:
we have had issues with coccidiosis usually after weaning. so we use the 21 day preventative with corid or cocci-cure in their water. we have had younger calves affected, seems like due to other stresses or illness, and use the 5 day drench treatment.

sometime we see blood, but almost all the time the stool has mucus.

I never see blood in their feces here. I see watery diarrhea that has a foul smell.

Coccidia is an annual event here. Just like Fourth of July and Labor Day. I fall calve. When the cows congregate around hay, the calves pick up coccidia. In past years, I drenched with corid. This year, I decided it might be less effort to put amprolium in their feed.

Using it in feed is like using monensin. It changes bacteria populations in the rumen. The bacteria that benefit breakdown feed into more efficient components for the cow/calf.
Just a thought from someone that knows. Not me of course.

Treat all.
Biggest economic impact is not the deads, or even the ones that just develop diarrhea, but the loss of gain/productivity in the infected calves that don't show any clinical signs at all - which will be the majority of calves in a group/herd.
Virtually all cattle are infected with coccidia at some point in their life... whether or not they exhibit clinical disease or not is dependent upon a number of factors - size of inoculum, age of animal, plane of nutrition, stress level, etc.

I would be reluctant to feed chicken feed without further research. In fact in Canada it may be illegal. I'll do some checking on that though in case I'm wrong.

Silver said:
I would be reluctant to feed chicken feed without further research. In fact in Canada it may be illegal. I'll do some checking on that though in case I'm wrong.

The "feed" is only a carrier. It is a grain by-product consisting of roughage, calcium carbonate, vegetable and animal fat. Amprolium is the active ingredient. By blocking thiamine uptake; it prevents carbohydrate synthesis in the species of coccidia that cause disease. There are tables I use to make sure I am mixing the right volume in the feed to control coccidia.

I get it at Hinton Mills in Mayslick, Kentucky. The feed store manager will assist anyone who has trouble doing the math. The use of it is so prevalent that Hinton Mills (there are about 6 outlets in this region) doesn't stock corid crumbles. They do stock corid in an aqueous solution.

I fully understand the skepticism. It may be illegal in Canada. I trust that my store manager would not be promoting its use here if it were illegal. As far as it being off label, that would be accurate because the label on the bag does not promote its use for cattle.

Latest posts