Cordless drills

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I've been using a Chinese range of cordless tools, drills, impact drivers, angle grinder and other for several years and have been very impressed with them however the main weakness I find with the drills is their keyless chucks, they quickly wear out and won't hold drill bits well. I drill a lot of metal. I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a reputable brand so which brand has the best chuck?

Ken

I can see that both Dewalt and Milwaukee (in the US) have cordless drills with chuck key options. They are not cheap. I'm guessing in AU there are other brands like Makita, Hitachi, Ryobi?

I've experienced the same issue with Milwaukee and Dewalt (keyless chucks). I will say sharp bits will help (definitely when drilling metal, but also drilling wood).

I'm convinced most of these cordless drills are made in the same factory -- but perhaps this says otherwise -- https://www.protoolreviews.com/power-tool-manufacturers-who-owns-them/.

I think I remember reading the directions once for a keyless chuck. I think it said to never hold the chuck and run the drill to tighten it onto the bit. Said that doing that will eventually cause the chuck to not hold. Supposed to turn the chuck by hand with the drill not running. Best I remember.

I had the same issue with Ridgid. Tough drilling jobs, such as thick metal and cement, I use a corded drill with a keyed chuck. I save the cordless drill & keyless chuck for light-duty work.

I think I remember reading the directions once for a keyless chuck. I think it said to never hold the chuck and run the drill to tighten it onto the bit. Said that doing that will eventually cause the chuck to not hold. Supposed to turn the chuck by hand with the drill not running. Best I remember.
Good information thanks Simme.

Ken

I think a keyed chuck would be my best option and I would like to give something like a Milwaukee or Dewalt a go. The convenience and power in the cordless these days is just so good I'm prepared to invest in a good brand to run beside my el cheapos, I'll have the batteries and charger then to add other skins as needed.
I do keep my drills sharp as with steel if its not cutting it is burning.

Ken

I've drilled a lot of fairly big holes through steel with my Dewalt. I always tighten by hand. The only time it might slip is when the tip pokes through the material and the cutting edge grabs. About 10 years now and so far it still holds good. I will say, the fit and finish of my Milwaulkee impacts makes me prefer them over Dewalt. Not sure that makes them worth the extra, but they just feel better.
Triangular "handle" drill bits help too, but I'm sure you don't want to buy all new bits.

Get yourself a 20 volt dewalt. Don't go to home cheap o to get it, acme tools is where I get my power tools, I've been running the same dewalt 20v drill and 5ah battery for 2 years,
I'm a residential contractor, run cordless everyday, all day. Ran Milwaukee for several years, but the batteries are junk and the impacts don't last.
Watch the chuck when purchasing, make sure it's all metal and never ever spray anything but air into the chuck

I've bought Hitachi, Dewalt, and Milwaukee drivers. Oher brands for other type tools. The only brands I would have to be desperate to buy at this point is Ryobi and Dewalt. The Ryobi tools I've bought have both quit working within a half hour of coming out of the box, new. The last one was an angle head grinder and it quit after fifteen minutes. It replaced a 20 year old Black & Decker and the Mikita I bought after has been doing a good job for three years. The Dewalts are heavy for no reason and the batteries don't last... and they are expensive only because so many people think they are the best tools.

As for the chucks... they can be purchased separately and replaced at home. I've worn one out on my Milwaukee driver and had it replaced, which was unreasonably expensive. They tried to charge me sixty bucks to change the thirty dollar chuck out and it only takes five minutes to do. Late last year I bought a set of two drivers on a Christmas sale and one was the chuckless hammer drill. I bought a set of hexagonal ended drill bits that fit in that tool and now I don't use the chucked drivers for drilling. And I have an extension that I can leave in the chucked drivers so I can switch tips without wearing out the chucks.

I've been using a Chinese range of cordless tools, drills, impact drivers, angle grinder and other for several years and have been very impressed with them however the main weakness I find with the drills is their keyless chucks, they quickly wear out and won't hold drill bits well. I drill a lot of metal. I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a reputable brand so which brand has the best chuck?

Ken
one thing that will help is to buy drill bits with a hex end, that way you can use a drill and it's less likely to slip and if the drilling gets tougher you can drill with a cordless impact. I have several brands that we have used over the years and it depends on who is using them as to which is best suited for the job. For my use I like either Makita or Dewalt in a drill or impact. My son who is a mechanic and fabricator loves Milwaukee, for my service techs in the field we get the Ryobi which is a fairly good brand and you can get one at any Home Depot and put an outboarded cheap warranty so if they are screwed up (technicians can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet) they are easily replaced and if they get left on a job by accident you havn't lost a big investment.