COOL, importing foreign beef & the producers response?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think there is some major hyperbole being tossed around here. Or you all live in commie states minus the one Canuck who wants his cake and eat it too.

Been direct marketing for over 13 years with not one glitch. And nobody needs 37.50 to make money. If that is true your barn prices should have you in the eby card line.

No I don't think so. The live animals would have a lot closer inspection. Embryos come from animals that have been tested for a lot of things.

Honestly, the vast majority of the public isn't paying attention. Of those that are, many are already careful regarding where their beef comes from. Not to say it'll have no impact, but I think it'll be minimal overall, as far as that aspect goes.

USTR: Canada and Mexico Inflated Losses Due to COOL

Wednesday, August 05, 2015
USTR: Canada and Mexico Inflated Losses Due to COOL
by Chris Clayton, DTN Ag Policy Editor

In its latest filing with the World Trade Organization over country of origin labeling, the U.S. Trade Representative's Office argues Canada and Mexico just slightly over-calculated their market losses and threatened sanction values to the tune of about $3 billion.

Canada argues that the level of suspension should be $2.41 billion ($3 billion CDN). Mexico proposed its markets have been affected by $713 million per year. In its analysis, USTR states any potential punitive tariffs shouldn't be more than $43.22 million for Canada and $47.55 million for Mexico.

Full article:
http://northernag.net/AGNews/AgNewsStor ... -COOL.aspx

In my opinion Congress got too hasty- needs to sit back and let this play out... But most in Congress long ago sold out to the big interests of the multinational corporations and quit supporting Made in the USA products...

Here is another bill that all producers should call their Congressmen to support:

U.S. Representatives Massie and Pingree Introduce Bill to Revive Local Meat Processing

Today, U.S. Representatives Thomas Massie and Chellie Pingree (D-ME) introduced legislation to make it easier for small farms and ranches to serve consumers. The PRIME (Processing Revival and Intrastate Meat Exemption) Act would give individual states freedom to permit intrastate distribution of custom-slaughtered meat such as beef, pork, or lamb, to consumers, restaurants, hotels, boarding houses, and grocery stores.

Full article:http://www.tsln.com/news/17407727-113/story.html

This is meant give the ability for our LOCAL State inspected processors to slaughter and sell meat from our LOCAL raised cattle- not only by individual meat packages directly to individuals, but also thru the stores and restaurants... Something that is illegal now ..
Badly needed to combat the monopoly the Multi-National Meatpackers currently hold over the industry- and to assure the consumer's have access to meat that is guaranteed not from Mexico, Brazil, China, or Timbuktu.....
I can definitely see the Big multinational Meat packer groups putting big money into the Politicians pockets fighting against this bill- as they have before...

Latest posts