Convidence in the market

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well there certainly seems to be a lot of convidence in the market. I went to a stock cow sale at Toppenish on Tuesday. They had over 1,600 bred cows and pairs. Good young to mid aged cows bred to calf Feb 1-April 15 were $1,500 all day long. Heifer in 20 head lots were $1550. I picked up 10 older short term cows. They should work good for my program.

Dave":35njtaw8 said:
Well there certainly seems to be a lot of convidence in the market. I went to a stock cow sale at Toppenish on Tuesday. They had over 1,600 bred cows and pairs. Good young to mid aged cows bred to calf Feb 1-April 15 were $1,500 all day long. Heifer in 20 head lots were $1550. I picked up 10 older short term cows. They should work good for my program.
I assume you are talking "confidence" ;-) :lol2: ;

Local Bred Cow sale last week- young cows were going for $1750-- mid aged solid mouths around $1250- and broken mouths and shorttermers were $900-$1000+...

They also auctioned off 400+ ton of good hay.. Alfalfa/grass mixture- guaranteed to be over 14% protein- and guaranteed to weigh at least 1026 a bale (with many bales closer to 1100) sold for $28.50 a bale (less than $55 a Ton)...

I can't ever remember being in this type situation- high priced cows--with cheap hay...For as long as I can remember it was usually the opposite.... :???:

Oldtimer":3sqjp4pi said:
I assume you are talking "confidence" ;

Spelling never was my strong suit......

I wish quality hay was that cheap here. We have a lot of hay but it was so wet this spring/summer that it was real late to be put up. Over ripe cool season grass hay can be pretty lacking in protein.

You are lucky to be in that area because here in the south hay is extremely expensive, and feed cost are still high. I took a few pairs to the auction the other day and I am embarrased to say what they sold for. I have seen steer calves sell for more than these pairs brought. I was wondering what the texas cattle were selling for now. I have a decent stand of rye grass standing and a little extra hay bought that I might could buy a few more head for my herd especially if I could find some that sell as cheap as those I took to the sale the other day.

Talked to a young man who owns a feed store last week. He had 200 round bales and asking $135 a roll for it. Folks said at that price it wasn't horse quality...He raised the price to $165 a roll and sold out in 2 days.

TexasBred":15acoi50 said:
Talked to a young man who owns a feed store last week. He had 200 round bales and asking $135 a roll for it. Folks said at that price it wasn't horse quality...He raised the price to $165 a roll and sold out in 2 days.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am a "horse person" and am not afraid to admit..most arent to savvy..;)

I am trying to use these prices to sell bred cows and upgrade the herd. Everyone says that it is hard to justify holding back heifers - - but it has paid off the last couple years due to the rising market and reasonable hay.

Realy really dry here this fall and no snow yet so next year may be different deal.

Black bred heifers are running 1225 to 1500, mostly 1300.
Bred cows are running 825 to 1300, mostly 1075.
We must not be as confident here are some folks...

Saw some bred heifers sell on DVauction the other day up in Nebraska don't remember if it was Bassett or Burwell but they brought $2200.

Latest posts