contributions of various sires

Help Support CattleToday:

BettyLandercasper

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing what specific traits are added by various sires. For example, you see a ton of
Leachman Sagahatchee show winners. How do you learn the valuable traits contributed by
certain sires? Who to ask?
In the dairy business, the AI reps used to come around and suggest certain sires to correct this and that.
In beef, there are a ton of things to pick, $ beef, milk, calving ease. It's confusing! I try to watch what successful show guys have done, i.e. bred cow family A to sire B. But it still seems like a ton of luck is involved.
Thoughts?

They pretty much do what they do in dairy, and pick this with that.
Also having your name out there and selling a lot of calves and going to lots of big shows help too! :tiphat:

the ironic part about most winning sires, is they don't actually inject a specific trait into their offspring-- it's the dam- who's most of the time a superior animal that does that. ]

There are plenty of exceptions though.

To be able to figure it out- you need to constantly watch and engage in convo- and then you need to study pedigree, accurately. When showing is involved- you need to basically stray away from EPDs.

Latest posts