CONTRACT WEED SPRAYING

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Called a local sprayer to see about spraying for weeds.
Only about 6 acres you can get a sprayer on.
they said cimmiron and crossbow.
then the fellah said Minimum $500. :stop: :drink:

Is he crazy, i can buy,build a rig for that.

Bill

Ouch!!!
Do you have a 4-wheeler? The spray rigs for quads that TSC sells work great. I believe anyone can buy & use 2-4D. Crossbow is an excellent product for woody plants or hard to kill mature thistle, but I don't think you can buy it & use it without a permit (at least in NY)
2-4D will kill any broadleaf plants (of course that includes clover - but so would the mix they quoted you).

Mr. Clayland,
Check with an ag chemical dealer in your area. Some of them around here will let you use a spray rig IF you purchase the herbicide from them.

Texas Gal":3bw0wu5r said:
Mr. Clayland,
Check with an ag chemical dealer in your area. Some of them around here will let you use a spray rig IF you purchase the herbicide from them.
I "believe" Pesticide License is required in all states, but I could be wrong. So, I'm "assuming" you cannot rent their rig if you don't have a license.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2c9h2ghj said:
Texas Gal":2c9h2ghj said:
Mr. Clayland,
I "believe" Pesticide License is required in all states, but I could be wrong. So, I'm "assuming" you cannot rent their rig if you don't have a license.
In Texas you do not need a license if it is premixed by the supplier.

novatech":1jryd2iq said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1jryd2iq said:
Texas Gal":1jryd2iq said:
Mr. Clayland,
In Texas you do not need a license if it is premixed by the supplier.
Man - that would be handy! I guess I don't know the exact rules out here. Just know that all the weeds I kill isn't very legal - but it is for hubby (Certified Crop Advisor)

BILL CLAYLAND":2oorp0dw said:

Bill
when you figure it all in,, chemicals, fuel, wear and tear etc he aint making much at that.. dont know what type of spray rig he's using but id bet 500.00 wouldnt touch it, if its anything at all....some stuff like this is better to tackle yourself i got a small rig but its been worth the money i spent on it,,saves on extra bushhogging and fuel when you concider the ground you can cover

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3m3ckq8q said:
Ouch!!!
Do you have a 4-wheeler? The spray rigs for quads that TSC sells work great. I believe anyone can buy & use 2-4D. Crossbow is an excellent product for woody plants or hard to kill mature thistle, but I don't think you can buy it & use it without a permit (at least in NY)
2-4D will kill any broadleaf plants (of course that includes clover - but so would the mix they quoted you).
New York must have some weak clover or Strong 2-4D as I spray my clover fields with 2-4D to control broadleaf weeds in them

NY must have some pretty tight regs on chemicals
in Mo you can buy D remedy,crossbow and a whole list of other herbicides without a license
heck Tordon RTU (ready to use) is even available over the counter but for Tordon concentrate you have to have a license which is easy to get

I would say depends on how often you want to spray and see it as an investiment or a one time thing. Granted we always have weeds to spary at least around here we do. Yeah I'm pretty sure that Crossbow and Cimarron are not restricted use pesticides. Usually the EPA determines that, but can states regulate further beyond that point. I did check and I don't believe Cimarron is license in NY, so sorry!! I've heard good things about Cimarron especially on blackberries and autum olives. Getting you private pesticide license isn't that big of a deal usually very common sense pesticide knowledge required. I'm not sure if they charge in other states, but I know if VA its free to take the test and maintain it. Just keep records of restricted use pesticides and go to a refresher course every two years. Check with extension agent in your state to see what the specific are.

BILL CLAYLAND":1tfzv5vk said:

Bill

In case you didn't notice... your not really his market. Those rigs are high dollar. He puches a hole in a tire or even gets a flat and he lost money.

If you have neighbors that spray or others in the area try to get the guy to do yours at the same time. He might work with you then.

Yeah I do realize I'm not his market i think the minimum acreage include in that price is a good amount.

Talked to my neighbor that we got a field of hay from and he says they are just getting pickier too,, their busy.

Looks like ill need to look at those 25 gallon tanks with booms on wheels, should work out just great for me.

My neighbor has one of the fancy JD skyscraper rigs come over and spray his crop fields, 2 passes and done kinda rig, Don't know if all the PBR in the world could talk him into crossin the road,,,lol

The MD ext has a coarse for pesticide as well, so well see about that.

Bill

There needs to be some real care and attention made to the use of chemicals.

You do not want to end up like the UK

Due to bad press and the anti farm view of many now it is required that

1) Lisence to handle chemical
2) Lisence to applie chemical (one for each different type of machine)
3) Seasonal testing by profesinal of all aplication machines, and daily maintence records
4) Proper strorage, theft proof, Bunded to 110% of capacity, fire resistant walls, away from water/ drains etc
5) Lisence to sell
6) Stores that sell are more like a high securty bank
7) A record of all aplications with field, area in field, weather, time, operator, chemicals used, reason for use, addvisor used
8) Addvisor muct be lisenced

In a 16 hour day with a custom spraying opperation as an opperator on a single crop I may spend 2 hours doing paper work dependant of field size.

They have still removed a huge number of chemicals from use in Europe as a whole, at least 40% of those that they were allowed to use ten years ago.

Latest posts