Consignment Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Annual consignment sale at the Winfield Livestock Auction/Sale Barn this Saturday. Looks like some good stuff and may be worth the drive. Let me know if you are interested or if you want me to bid on something on your behalf.
1708555813103.jpeg

I'm just tickled to see an auction that doesn't accept plastic cards. I bought a new seat for one of my tractors at the farm show in Louisville last weekend and the company didn't accept cash, that just doesn't set well with me.
I have noticed lately a number of local business that add an extra charge to your bill if you use a debit or credit card.

I'm just tickled to see an auction that doesn't accept plastic cards. I bought a new seat for one of my tractors at the farm show in Louisville last weekend and the company didn't accept cash, that just doesn't set well with me.
I haven't seen that yet but im pretty sure they cant refuse cash if someone pushed it.

I haven't seen that yet but im pretty sure they cant refuse cash if someone pushed it.
I'm inclined to believe the same, but this time it wasn't worth pushing the issue, to me.

I also figured they had already tacked on the 3% mentioned by Dave above and why should I bother trying to save them that fee.

I also figured they had already tacked on the 3% mentioned by Dave above and why should I bother trying to save them that fee.
We've been out of the biz for a long time and terms, conditions, and legalities may have changed. Yes, merchants generally already account for their basis points and it's built into the price. But they absolutely cannot (or could not) state an additional fee/percentage if a customer is paying by card. And yet, it's now common practice. Jer busted a lot of merchants back in the day. It's just another form of price-gouging.

But they absolutely cannot (or could not) state an additional fee/percentage if a customer is paying by card. And yet, it's now common practice.
I wonder if that is legal in today's day and time? I would actually prefer that merchants apply the 3% (or whatever the charge is) to the customer using that particular form of payment instead of automatically accessing it to every customer. I'll gladly pay in cash/check/rupees if it saves me money.

Some around here just give discounts for cash or checks on large ticket items. Dentists around here give 10% off for cash or check. Trades people are almost always willing to give a cheaper price for cash.

The law changed recently so an added fee can be charged for cards
I wondered if that was the case because I see it so much anymore. That said, I rarely carry a checkbook and one store I frequent has the "added fee" sign for card. Actually had a check with me a few weeks ago and thought I saved 3%. Until I looked at my credit card statement and the previous purchases for the same items was for the same amount as the check I wrote with the supposed discount. And I earn a minimum of 1% on card purchases, so if the amounts are truly the same and the merchant just doesn't want the accrual (thus, promoting checks), I'm still ahead.

Latest posts