Connealy Impression 6262

Help Support CattleToday:

I've not personally used the bull but did see him at World West in the spring of 13; very impressive over all but the one thing that really got to me was his back right foot. His claws weren't right, they were over lapping a little at the ends.

We have a first calf heifer out of the bull, she isn't performing as well as we had hoped. Just trying to figure out the why. Looking at his EPD's I don't see any holes but this heifer is out of a cow that is very maternal. Not all matings click and I guess this is just one that didn't.

edit: This heifer was in the cow when we purchased her I didn't breed her in fact had never heard of the 6262 bull at the time. We wanted the cow for her genetics, the heifer looked really good all the way through having her first calf. She just isn't doing a very good job raising it.

gizmom

I looked him up on the Angus Australia website and he has a pretty handy set of EBV's. I will be interested in any comments as I am looking to use a Connealy bull. The milk EBV is supposed to represent the performance of his daughters raising their calves and that isn't too bad, 15 in our figures which is middle range.
Ken

Thanks for your observations Baldie maker regarding the toes on Impression's back right foot. I suspect that this condition may have come from 6807, who is on the top and bottom side of the pedigree. Though the 6807 cattle offer a lot of good to the industry I have seen it personally in my herd, and heard from several other breeders, that when they see long toes on a back foot, frequently 6807 is in the pedigree.

Latest posts