Connealy Final Product

Help Support CattleToday:

a7 livestock

Reaction score
Thinking about first servicing all my herd to sexed heifer FP semen, thoughts on this idea for building a herd? Also, thoughts on using him on heifers? +3 ced is slightly concerning, .8 BW eases my mind a touch.

Bought a 3 year old TC Total cow bred to Final Product back in 2011. Cow probably weighed close to 1350# when I bought her. She had a heifer, weighed 68# at birth. Wound up keeping that heifer, she probably weighs about 1200# as a 4 year old. Just had her second calf, a bull out of SAV Beacon and I'm really liking the way he looks right now at 2 months old. I only have the one FP daughter so limited experience, but BW was acceptable. I believe he will knock some frame size off of bigger cows. Happy with the one daughter I have in production.

Wouldn't breed him to a heifer; wouldn't worry about breeding him to a cow

a7 livestock":197ck7it said:
Thinking about first servicing all my herd to sexed heifer FP semen,
Sexed Heifer F.P. semen absolutely use on heifers... it's the bull calves you'd need to worry about calving ease
plus you'll have higher 1st service conception from heifers than cows. [more bang for the buck]

I have limited experience with Final Product, but am very happy with the results so far. Purchased two bred heifers at a purebred sale in fall 2013 and was a little nervous about the CED number as it started to get worse, but both heifers calved unassisted Feb. 2014 and March 2014, had bull calves that only weighed 72 and 75 pounds, respectively. No calving difficulties. Both calves were born about a week early. They have turned out to be impressively built steers. Sold one to a girl for 4-H and kept the other for the freezer. Definitely smaller framed that our other calves, but happy with their appearance. I would definitely consider using female sexed semen from CFP and think it would be OK on heifers as long as they aren't too small.

Yip, these heifers are mid 5 to low 6 frame, so I think with heifer calves calving shouldn't be too difficult, they'll also be under a watchful eye in the calving lot. Everything I read about FP is positive, easy doing cows that produce and stay in the herd, the goal is to calve as many heifers as possible the next few years to build a solid foundation.

Check the mil count from ABS Global on the mil count of presexed semen. even if the mil count is acceptable
the conception rate is much lower on presexed semen than conventional. We have a tough time getting very good conception on any Ai unless its in a heifer breeding project of about 100 head. And that takes a lot of help and money. And still needs a bull.
With a small group of heifers 10 or so its just as good to go get a young calf ease bull by Final Answer or In Focus..
Final Product is a good bull. His CED comes from longer bodied calves . I checked into Final Product presexed semen in December ABS onlyhad a few units and the mil count was low. IT sounded like they were not going to try presexed semen on him any more

Latest posts