Connealy ROI 8841

Help Support CattleToday:

WarEagle73

Reaction score
I AI'ed 4 heifers three weeks ago. When I picked up the semen, my AI rep told me the bull was Connealy True Answer 892. He wasn't the bull I wanted, but he was good enough to breed 4 heifers...

The day we bred it was raining and just all-around nasty so I didn't double check the empty straws as we used them. Today I went back and checked them. Instead of True Answer they were Connealy ROI 8841. CE -1 BW +2.7

Anyone ever seen this bull or any offspring? Ever had this happen to you when dealing with semen? Right now I'm just kind of disgusted with the whole situation.

Sounds like it is time to find a new A.I. supplier. In my many years in the cattle business (going back to the 70's) I have never had one of my semen suppliers provide me with anything other than what I specifically ordered.

I am not familiar with the Connealy ROI bull, but based on his EPDs I would watch those heifers closely as they near calving time. You may want to consider aborting the heifers by giving them a shot of Lutalyse. Check with your vet for the exact dosage. Some vets have a two shot protocol to ensure that the heifers abort.

I dont think I would have used either on hefiers, why didnt you have a choice? The CED between the 2 is a bit different but actual BW is around a pound so no big deal, I wouldnt lute them at all if I was ok on the first bull, just watch them.
What did it say on top of the cane? I had a straw in the cane with the wrong bull, was told the paper probably didnt get changed for the first bull in the run, but was probaly the bull I wanted, to much difference in those 2 so no choice but to lute. They did replace the whole cane.

This AI supplier couldn't get the semen I wanted in time for breeding,Coleman Charlo 0256. He doesn't keep that semen in the tank. Instead I told him I wanted a calving ease Final Answer son. I figured he knew these bulls better than I did, so I let him pick me a bull. It was only for a small number of heifers and I was more worried about getting a live calf. True Answer wasn't what I would have picked, but he said they had used him on heifers with good success.

The ROI bull has EPD's that I like other than the CE and BW. I'm not super concerned about the BW EPD, but the CE bothers me. I found an older listing of this bull from Brazil or somewhere in South America and it looks like his CE was a +4 then, so it appears he is headed in the wrong direction as well. We are going to have them ultrasounded next week to see how many stuck on AI. From there we will make a decision. Don't really want to put them 45 days behind and waste all that money from the estrus synch, but we don't want to kill them either...

As far as the cane in the tank, I will have to go look at it. It definitely is a possibility that the cane doesn't match the semen in it. Being that they both were Connealy bulls that would make some sense.

Latest posts