confused heifer question

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboyup216":2e3hgz6a said:
One of them things ill never understand. WHY WOULD ANYONE OWN CATTLE WITHOUT PROPER HANDLING FACILITIES?

Most people who are just starting out with cattle improvise - it's what they can afford. No, it isn't ideal, and it causes problems - hence the saying necessity is the mother of invention.

jcarkie":2wq4i7ly said:
here is a pisture of lucky finally
100_0671.jpg

the oldest pair
100_0667.jpg
[/img]
here are some more calves from 1 st calf heifers

100_0670.jpg
[/img]

you have some of the cutest babies (and mommy)s I have ever seen!!!!!!THey are absolutely adoable!!!!!!!!!Congradulations!!!~

cowboyup216":1jos2iem said:
One of them things ill never understand. WHY WOULD ANYONE OWN CATTLE WITHOUT PROPER HANDLING FACILITIES?

My goodness cowboy, why'd you say that? Many if not most people get in the business before they are fully prepared.

jcarkie":31co1t4j said:
it is a rent place and the equipment happened to be at another place, truck in the shop yada, yada, yada, no excuse just happened.

I've been there and it is no good. You wind up penning cattle with panels, roping them and such. Eventually you recognize that you are lucky you weren't hurt and just as lucky the cow was not hurt.

When I built my new pens and chutes, I built them all portable and plenty strong. They are built out of 3 inch tube steel with 4 inch grid utility panels welded to them. There are lifting eyes on top of the panels and on top of the alleys and chutes. There are head gates, cut gates, a loading chute and medina gate all combined. They can be moved onto leased property and such. With a tractor front bucket and chains, it can be assembled in about 30 minutes off of the back of a flatbed.

backhoeboogie":2nmcvaze said:
jcarkie":2nmcvaze said:
it is a rent place and the equipment happened to be at another place, truck in the shop yada, yada, yada, no excuse just happened.

I've been there and it is no good. You wind up penning cattle with panels, roping them and such. Eventually you recognize that you are lucky you weren't hurt and just as lucky the cow was not hurt.

When I built my new pens and chutes, I built them all portable and plenty strong. They are built out of 3 inch tube steel with 4 inch grid utility panels welded to them. There are lifting eyes on top of the panels and on top of the alleys and chutes. There are head gates, cut gates, a loading chute and medina gate all combined. They can be moved onto leased property and such. With a tractor front bucket and chains, it can be assembled in about 30 minutes off of the back of a flatbed.

How do you anchor them or are the built in a way that that is not necessary? I would love to see pictures.

Get a maternity pen. best investment for calving. Makes life simpler in times of stress, safer for everyone and the best thing with four posts going.
There is a head gate
On two sides the bottom half of the pannels can be openned so it's slick like butter to get a calf to suck
on one side of the split pannel the top can be openned for a vet exam of the rummen, for an on farm c section if your vet does that
if the cow goes down while pulling a calf the head gate is straight to prevent strangleation(?).
Makes checking on a problem calvers less like a chore and more like...well...oh so easy!!!
Sweetest investment we made on the farm. Once you have it you wonder what you did without it.

We anchored our materinty pen with gravel, railway ties and lag bolts. We laid the ties on the ground after we dug out the dirt so the ties would be ground level. the pen came with welded tabs with holes to lag bolt it to the tie. cow can not push it around.

backhoeboogie":1zzbyxjc said:
jcarkie":1zzbyxjc said:

There are lifting eyes on top of the panels and on top of the alleys and chutes. There are head gates, cut gates, a loading chute and medina gate all combined.

I think I've got the 'lifting eyes' figured out, and I'm thinking a 'cut gate' is either a sorting gate or an entry/exit gate for people? What is a 'medina gate'? I've never heard any of these terms before, and I'm curious. Thanks!

Latest posts