Concrete water basin leaking

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
My house was built in the 40s, and there is a concrete water basin under the house that we run spring water into for our household water; it holds around 4,000 gallon. It has developed a leak about 14 inches from the bottom which will leak about 100 gallons in a 24 hour period.

We have use fast plug, which is a cement type stuff that sets up quickly. It usually works like a charm. The problem is, this time we can't see a place that looks like a leak. We've been in three times and put some here and there in placed that looked the most suspicious, but the leak continues.

Is there anything good for sealing water leaks that will maintain it's strength while under water? I'm thinking some kind of spray. That way, it would surely stop the leak whether we see it or not. It needs to be something that dries fairly quickly, and something non toxic.

Any suggestions?

Consider a low profile poly tank?? We ran spring water from up on the hill into a large, low profile poly tank in basement and just pumped water right out of poly tank for years.

In plumbing career, we used to seal all penetrations through basement wall with hydro seal(sets up like concrete in minutes - but you would have to know leak location).

What about spray on gutter sealant? Have used it on a few leaking screws in metal roof with 100% success so far. Couple coats seals things pretty well, but would have to be clean. Toxic???idk

When I worked in the oil field and got a leak in the separator tank we would take dry horse manure and grind it up real fine then sift it into the tank , the dry manure would find its way to the hole and plug it.

cowboy43":25akwuxy said:
When I worked in the oil field and got a leak in the separator tank we would take dry horse manure and grind it up real fine then sift it into the tank , the dry manure would find its way to the hole and plug it.

That sounds great! That would be awesome in my household water.

herofan":skarx97s said:
cowboy43":skarx97s said:

That sounds great! That would be awesome in my household water.

Don't say anything and the rest of the family will never know.

To find the leak is there any possibility to use food dye to help?

100 gallons in 24 hours isn't a terribly large hole, though I realize it sure adds up for your water storage.

Perhaps roofing tar if you know the general area can be put on with a trowel.

Are you sure the leak isn't in the plumbing going to it?

maybe talk to someone in the in the swimming pool business. I know a guy that used something to patch his pool ,it worked underwater

One thing that won;t work is that spray on rubber in the aerosol can

I second the food coloring or dye. You ought to be able to put some in and shine a bright light on it and watch the current move the dye toward the leak.

No help on fixing it, but I bet that would find it.

Ol' 243":168ublu9 said:
Haven't you ever seen the Flex-Seal commercials? :lol2:
That's why I tried it. Figured little tiny cracks should seal just fine. WRONG

Latest posts