6 month old calves needing water

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
I have just bought 3 6 month old calves. I can't get to them to bust the ice in their trough. Are they as resilient as I am hoping. They are 30 miles away and my truck ( diesel) won't crank its to cold??

I bet they will be ok. But I'd want to be checking on em somehow tmrw morning.

I dont have a lot of experience, but everything I have found, says they figure out snow pretty easily.

The 2 calves and 1 cow I have penned up have plenty of snow, but they still guzzle a bucket or 2 of water morning and night.

My small herd at the lease place has a creek on it. Its frozen solid. They've been fine all week thru this mess.

I still worry!

Last edited:
I bet they will be ok. But I'd want to be checking on em somehow tmrw morning.

I dont have a lot of experience, but everything I have found, says they figure out snow pretty easily.

I still worry!
Me too I have had cattle on and off my whole adult life. 25 years, but have never had cold like this. Thanks

I agree with TC that they should get water a soon as possible. eating snow for moisture is not a natural instinct for cattle but a survival skill they learn over time. if snow is trampled down, the snow will not be an option.

Update a 30 minute trip took 1 1/2 to get there but all was good. Busted and filled tank back full they went to drinking. Fed some sweet feed and I am out of the dog house! Thanks everyone for your ideas and knowledge!

Latest posts