Leaking pond dam

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
I've got several leaks on an old pond dam. Has anyone used bentonite to seal leaks. They're aren't real bad pond never drops more then 12-18 inches, it's more annoying trying to mow around it

bird dog

Reaction score
How are you going to apply it?
Curious on this because one of mine seeps. The seep is towards the bottom.
I also have one the leaks some around the pipe that was put through the dam after the dam was a few years old.

D2Cat

Reaction score
Have a neighbor with a leaking pond. He had a guy there with a trackhoe who had big 2000# bags of bentonite (he got them from a nearby kitty litter plant) and hoisted them out over the area and dumped. There or four of those bags, and it still leaks!

I think to effectively seal a pond the bentonite has to be applied to the damp mud and worked in with something like a sheepsfoot, which isn't practical. I'd wait until the pond was low, dump the bentonite as close to the leaking area as possible and turn some hogs, cattle, ducks.....something to tromp it in.

wbvs58

Reaction score
If it goes down that 18 inches fast and the holds the water it sounds like it wasn't built well. The clay down the bottom should have been pushed up on the dam wall to seal it. The first 18 inches is soil and will rarely hold water. I have dabbled a little with bentonite but with little success. I have heard some good reports using some of those polymer sealers used on full dams but I think they have to be relatively small leaks.

Ken

OP
K

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
How are you going to apply it?
Curious on this because one of mine seeps. The seep is towards the bottom.
I also have one the leaks some around the pipe that was put through the dam after the dam was a few years old.
I'm thinking about using small boat and just spreading it by hand around the area its leaking

bird dog

Reaction score
Next question. How do you know where it is leaking? Are you thinking that it is a straight line from the wet area behind the dam to the leak on the other side?

When I ask a friend of mine that has dug hundreds of ponds what to do on mine. he said nothing can be done until the water is removed by pump or drought. But mine seems to be leaking from the bottom of the dam. He also said there is not an easy way to find out where the leak is, The water can travel horizontally through the dam or from top to bottom. It leaks where it can find a channel.

greybeard

Reaction score
1. Get a pair of breeding age beaver. If the pond is leaking/seepeing, they'll find it and seal it off.

2. They bring their own problems tho. Get a couple of conibear raps and/or a rifle with night vision optics to keep the beaver herd down to a manageable size. Otherwise, they will plug off your overflow pipe too. They like their water at the highest level possible.

3. You may have to extend your pipe farther out into the pond. They will quickly plug off the end, but can't seem to find holes in pipe along it's length. An open upset on the end will also help.

beaverdeterrent.jpg

All pipes in a pond dam should have an anti seep collar on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts