computer

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I've been having some computer problems of the late, got a couple call ins to computer places, I'm wondering if anyone knows the signs of a virus? A few times I have bben online, and it goes to this blue screen saying Windows error, re start your computer, or go to the Windows website for directions, yesterday I went there, but no way can I understand those directions, and then my security system was disabled, said it was expired, so i called the security people, they said it wasn't expired, told me to re download and re install the security, i did that, while it was installing, it froze up, and then i just shut the darn computer off--had it!!!

Today I can send mail, not recieve it, and my security is still not working, but everything else is fine, not sure what to do? Any suggestions from the computer experts here?

Thanks

Gail

It coud be a virus, it could be be your OS, it could be your start up is loaded to the gills and your out of resources.
Did you uninstall before you reinstalled your anti-virus.
It would help to know the error code you received from
MicroSlop. The first thing I'd do is back up all that you want saved. If your using XP have you set up restore points?
Have you installed or changed anything lately. Kept up with critical updates for your OS? There was a critical release last Tues that supposedly closed the hole for a worm that is
sasser quaility. And it affected all the operating systems.
Don't know if that included 3.0 and 95 though. :p

There are two free programs you can download and run that my friend showed to me.
1 Ad-aware (this one is from Lavasoft)
2 Spybot search and destroy

He says they are excellent. He runs the first program every week and the second he only runs about once a month.

Anyway, good luck!

Cuz

CUZ":1mfo7ele said:
There are two free programs you can download and run that my friend showed to me.
1 Ad-aware (this one is from Lavasoft)
2 Spybot search and destroy

He says they are excellent. He runs the first program every week and the second he only runs about once a month.

Anyway, good luck!

Cuz

These 2 only catch spyware. Won't help with possible virus

dun

have you tried to defrag and get rid of things you don't need, as the more you put on the slower the thing gets. cleanup should be done at least once a month. go into my computer and the clean up discs, that might help, I had mine play up a little while ago and that was all it was, I installed McAfee and I have found that an excellent virus catcher. and I have no trouble with spam and pop ups either now.

GMN":32airh0z said:
I've been having some computer problems of the late, got a couple call ins to computer places, I'm wondering if anyone knows the signs of a virus? A few times I have bben online, and it goes to this blue screen saying Windows error, re start your computer,

Thanks

Gail
I have been having a similar problem. I kept getting kicked off this site and off white pages. Had this problem once before and someone gave advice on how to clear off passwords, cookies, etc. That worked then, but did no good this time.
Took it to the fix it place and they said software was corrupted and 'fixed' it. Got it home and same problem. Just got it back the second time and the man put on Firefox to use instead of Explorer.

It changes everything and I don't like it, but it does work for this site and for Whitepages. Explorer still works for everything else.
PM me if you want the diredtions for what worked before. It may work for you. IF I can get PM's?