Comments on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

AllForage":p8h4pwut said:
From what I have seen and gathered through a friend in Norway, is that most of the beef cattle are mostly of Dairy type in these northern countries. Most are downright sorry. Recently Denmark stated in the British breed journal that their focus is on reducing cow size. These countries are experiencing a lot of calving issues as well. With long cold winters I would prefer a shorter more moderate easy fleshing animal. If you are close to these folks I would maybe start here:

http://hofteboekelo-traditionalhereford ... ekelo.html

hopefully the link works

A guy I know well bought a couple of cows and a bull about 5 years ago from that farm.
Last fall I leased a bull from this fellow. He (the bull) was very short legged, but managed te breed 1 cow and 3 heiffers. We will see the result in June !

Found another herefordbreeder who has 3 young bulls for sale, this is the father.
alinea_954_zpsc7657807.jpg

In the early spring I'm going to take a look.

Greets , Jeroen

Blondes & Bleu's can't survive outside in the winter??
They do in Canada, and we have everything from the wet soggy coast of B.C. to the absolute freezing windy prairies of Alberta to Sask and eastward....

bigbluegrass":2vtf18fo said:
For grass finishing I would say too much leg and not enough guts and muscle for me. Not my style.
This bull lacks to much depth of body, has too much leg and little hind quarter muscle. For grass finishing you need a moderate framed bull with carcass & ability to finish (fat cover)
This lean machine is too strungout & the calves will take a lot of feed before finishing. Not ideal for a pasture situation

You may need to consider a Limousin or Lim-Flex to deal with a grass based system. Limousin are known for their hardiness & ability to thrive in harse conditions. They are also one of the most feed efficient breeds on the market.
Look for an early maturing, soft style bull that has good docility!

AussieLim":3r60dm5y said:
You may need to consider a Limousin or Lim-Flex to deal with a grass based system. Limousin are known for their hardiness & ability to thrive in harse conditions. They are also one of the most feed efficient breeds on the market.

Not a single grass fed co-op here in the states allows continentals. There is a reason why. His country already has a problem with tall, slab sided, hard doing cattle. I see no reason why those breeds would be any different since they are so heavily influenced by British breeders.

AllForage":1br9i8lw said:
AussieLim":1br9i8lw said:

Not a single grass fed co-op here in the states allows continentals. There is a reason why. His country already has a problem with tall, slab sided, hard doing cattle. I see no reason why those breeds would be any different since they are so heavily influenced by British breeders.

I highly doubt that using a % sire like LimFlex would lead to market rejection ALLFORAGE! If used over Angus cows the resulting salable progeny will only have 25% Limo content which is enough to improve feed efficiency, maternal and terminal performance through hybrid vigor. However the progeny will still pass as Angus. Hybrid vigors a free lunch so if you choose not to embrace it it's your loss. Hybrid vigor has even more importance when grass finishing to ensure you reach target weights as quickly as possible.
As for your comment on slab sided continentals I think you are referring to the more traditional European type continentals that often lack depth & are a little jacked up & gutty.
The best calves will always be British X Continental calves!

AussieLim":1enb36xi said:
AllForage":1enb36xi said:
AussieLim":1enb36xi said:

I highly doubt that using a % sire like LimFlex would lead to market rejection ALLFORAGE! If used over Angus cows the resulting salable progeny will only have 25% Limo content which is enough to improve feed efficiency, maternal and terminal performance through hybrid vigor. However the progeny will still pass as Angus. Hybrid vigors a free lunch so if you choose not to embrace it it's your loss. Hybrid vigor has even more importance when grass finishing to ensure you reach target weights as quickly as possible.
As for your comment on slab sided continentals I think you are referring to the more traditional European type continentals that often lack depth & are a little jacked up & gutty.
The best calves will always be British X Continental calves!
In the feedlot yes, but that's questionable as far as being finished on pasture is concerned. And I think that's what AllForage was trying to get at. BTW, dutchcowboy's market is different from what it is here in N.A., or even what your market is in Australia, Aussielim.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I guess we have pasture all year round & we have perfected a grass based system due to our vast grazing land that isn't worth farming/cropping. I still believe a % continental will go unnoticed to the processors and yet gain you some vigor. Food for thought!
Merry Christmas!

To get the best grass finished genetics to put over the type of cattle you already have, Dutchcowboy, you should look into native strain Aberdeen Angus or Native Hereford from the UK, our herds are outside on native pasture at the top of the chalk downs, and if anything are still carrying too much condition, the modern breeds are being fed haylage already having been on improved pasture. Look at what native/heritage British bulls/semen is available.

Thanks for the advice and comments.
Yes my market is different from yours, I try to sell my bullcaleves every year.
Keep the heiffers and slaughter young cows or 2 year olds who don't fit or with a bad behevior.
Plan to butcher a cow every month or 6 weeks.(thats what I did the past years)
My costumers like the taste of the grassfed meat, it's totaly organic, but not certified.
About the halve of my acreage is leased from a nature protection organization. Have to mow it after 15 june, and afterwhile you can graze it till 1 october.
The rest of my pastures are my own and have good grasses and lots of clover.
Planning to downsize the cowherd and keep my bulls in the future.
So thats why I think I need an angusbull or something like that.

Thanks again and greetings .

Jeroen.

Latest posts